CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Flappy Fairings

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 12:36 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up Flappy Fairings

Finally got round to doing a repair on my fairings today , the fixings behind the front wheel have been broken since I bought the bike last November and at one point were gaping wide open , causing plenty of drag I'm sure !

So trawled e-bay for the bits needed and set to work

Bought some really big rivets , some plastic fairing clips and used a short section of PVC piping I had lying around . Cut the piping in half and used my paint stripping heat gun to melt it just enough to flatten it out . Trimmed down the plastic and riveted it to one side and drilled holes for the fairing clips on the other . Used some kitchen foil for heat shielding which I stuck on using double sided tape and 'Bob's your uncle', they now fit a treat

So well chuffed , could only take the bike for a 30min blast but they held up fine and with the terrible side winds and buffeting today it was a real tough time for them!

Here's a link to some piccies I took , will paint the things up when I get around to painting the front fender . Hey one day I may even figure out how to post pictures direct

Old 05-08-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

doesnt look bad at all...strong enough too I would think....dont know how long the tape will hold due to heat, but if nothing else throw some epoxy on the back and try it again...that should hold it. looks good though.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:49 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice job, hawk!

It's funny, steve, I was gonna say "get some zip ties!" before I even read the post...
I just used about 50 of the dam things at work today to hold some pvc pipe to a railing on the side of a tank. I mentioned to my buddy how the guy who invented zip-ties probably died pennyless and insane. Then I think I mentioned about how rich people don't have near as much fun as us who get to do hard labor and rig up cool stuff with zip ties...

BTW, hawk... photobucket is easy to post pics with.
When you're viewing your album, just pick the picture you want to share....hold your cursor over the pic until the options show up near the bottom. Then copy and past the "IMG Code" line right into the post where you want the pic to show up. You can preview the post to make sure it's gonna turn out. It's real easy to do!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 AM

F*CK ME! I posted a piccy , Sir Trout your a scholar and a gentleman!

Old 05-09-2009, 02:24 AM
Talking You can't stop me now!

Just posting another piccy to prove to myself that it wasn't a fluke the first time

Steve , I been trying to figure out what to do with the lower fixing point . I may have to go the cable tie route in the end , but was hoping to get a flash of inspiration.
But up untill today these crappy bits were the only things holding the lower fixing point together and just a bit of tape for the rest
Name:  fairingrepair003.jpg
Views: 13
Size:  175.6 KB