CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

First test drive

Old 04-05-2006, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First test drive

I did the first test drive, ever, with my CBR 1000 F -92 this saturday. The roads were dry but the temperature was less than 5 deegres celsius. It is bought as a commuter and will be used on a daily basis now when the snow is gone. The first impression was far better than expected, the bike pulls quite strong and absolutely clean from low revs up to max power at 10 500 rpm and the chassi is stable at any speed. The clutch and gearbox also worked perfectly and I was surprised about the nice feeling and predictable behaviour at almost full lean angles. Next step will be to mount a new complete 4-2-1 system and rejet the carbs. I expected that the bike would feel very heavy at low speed in town, as reported by som owners, but did not get that impression at any speed. Maybe many earlier laps on tracks and the active use of counter-steering plus new modern tyres (Michelin Power) helped.

The only thing that did not felt up to date was braking performance. I'm used to be able to lift the rear wheel of ground at hard braking but could neither do that or lock the front wheel when i tried. Maybe steel-braided teflon brake hoses and sintered brake pads would fix the brakes. What have you done on your bikes to improve the front brake, or are you happy with the stock brakes?

Old 04-05-2006, 09:57 PM
Default RE: First test drive

-5 Deg C! **** that!

It may be the pads you are running. They could be glazed or not bedded in properly. Also if the colour of the brake fluid is like honey then its no good. I have the linked brakes and I have managed to lockup the brakes and get the rear off the ground.

I would love braided lines, but the cost of doing a complete braided lines for the combined brakes is not cheap.

I have had to do an emergency stop at 240kph (as well as one at 200 in the wet!) and for a big heavy bike the braking is bloody good and the stability under braking is incredible.

Old 04-07-2006, 03:40 PM

Thanks, IĀ“ve now ordered new pads and will imediately replace the brake fluid which is honey-like. Meanwhile, the the existing pads could be sanded to refresh the surface for new brake in. They have recently been replaced by previous owner but may not have been braked in properly.

Temperature was plus 5 Deg C, today its really hot, 9 Deg C...

Old 04-08-2006, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: R1000
Temperature was plus 5 Deg C, today its really hot, 9 Deg C...
Must be time to break out the shorts & t-shirts.

Come over here for a ride when we get our 30 knot Easterlies that drive the temp up to 44deg C

Old 04-08-2006, 04:28 AM

Nice to hear your good experiences on 1000F. As Trips, I have managed to get rear up with stock brakes with passenger in back and also made couple of really tight emergency braking/turnings because of blind car drivers. Braking stability is excellent and I have never lost any control over the bike in those tight situations. I hope your bikes brakes will be like new when you renew the pads and fluids. Bad fluids can't generate enough pressure to brake cylinders and should be replaced. Remember to do the bleeding properly when changing fluids! When I purchased my bike pads were in good shape but fluids were honey-like, I put new fluids in and it really affected braking performance.

Please report when you get that 4-2-1 system installed and tested, would be great. Maybe photos? Damn temperature here is +1C, tomorrow it should be +3C (feels like summer) and I'm planning to do my first ride this year. Wooooo!!

Old 04-08-2006, 07:41 AM

I had a great week on a rented bike in New South Wales around Sydney in September 2005. I visited Blue Mountin and many other nice places with the bike. The rented Triumph 955i Sprint RS performed welll. The same weekend there was Moto GP at Philip Islands. I chosed to use the spare time, after the business trip, for free riding instead of going to Philip Island. Moto GP can been seen on TV but the chance to tour around on the contryside on the other side of the planet is not so common, so I chosed the free ride option. Nice memories your comment reminds me if of Trips, hope to get the chance to return to Australia one day. Best business trip ever and I have been around a lot in many countries.

I'll post pics of the new system which should arrive late April.

Second week of June will be spent at Nurburg Ring on Intensive traning arranged by Motorrad Magazine in Germany. I'll go there with the Suzuki R1000 -03 but am sure that the Honda would have been fine to.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/ECA2A8EC1B354FA6B156F6AB50D6F923.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-08-2006, 07:48 AM

Did you managed to get a test ride Kaasari?

Here it is not to bad today, around plus five Deg C and some clouds, will go for a trip if it not start to rain.

I'll report my findings about the Laser system later.

Old 04-08-2006, 08:05 PM

Front brake works very well, I'm now relly impressed of the braking force on this bike. No problems to lock the front or lift the rear when braking hard. Changed brake fluid and sanded down pads 1 mm and braked them in per instructions, about a houndred of easy braking finalised with a full hard stop from 200+ and cooling down . I also cleaned and polished all parts in calipers and floater studs.

Old 04-09-2006, 05:35 AM

It's so hot in here, +4C! Now it's hard decision should I go for a ride or take sun lotion and hit the beach! Hah, just kidding, streets are now clear but everywhere else is still covered in deep snow and you can still drive a car on road which is built on a frozen lake.

Nice to hear you got your brakes working properly. My bike is still lying on stands and I'm about to go and put wheels back on. Then just wash & wax and I'm ready to go for a spin around my town. Waiting also to test my brand-new riding gear and helmet. Yesterday I changed oil and filter, poured new gasoline in and the engine started on first try! Damn, you really can trust this machine.

Old 04-09-2006, 08:58 AM

Plus four degrees is almost summer with the right clothing. When I left this morning it was +1.5 Deg C so I had to turn on the handle heaters but was warm elswere. At the end of the trip it was plus 7.6 Deg C and I felt really warm when I came home. I'm really happy that the brake works so well now. On the way home I lifted the rear several decimeters at a read light. This site is superb to get the right advices.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First test drive