CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

first service and tune - with result

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 04:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first service and tune - with result

The bikes going in for a service and tune tomorrow... I think everything is fine but I want them to make me certain.

I'll have to remember to tell them not to worry about the broken speedo because i have it sorted, import the little plastic bit from JAPAN!!! ba! 10 days!.

Part of me thinks it is a waste of money... as in if there is no indication that it is breaking, don't worry about it.

But it does seem to be running a bit rich so maybe they can squeeze a bit more fuel economy out of it for me.

I'll post what they have to say to see if everyone agrees.

Cheers

Old 05-25-2006, 05:06 AM
Default RE: first service and tune

Some interesting things came out of that service...

1. K&N air filters reduce the power of older motorcycles because they are made for EFI engines.
2. The standard paper filters are difficult to keep clean and the one that was in the bike was clogged with black gunk... I have noticed an extreme improvement in upper revs performance AND sound with the new standard paper filter (and the whatever tuning the shop did as part of the service)
3. Sushi trains are good and the price at the end is based on the colour of the plates that you use
4. The bike shop and the local clothes shop have not been allowed to stock balaclavas for over 2 years now... I am now on a quest to find one since my neck got VERY cold this morning riding through the 6am mist
5. When the front wheel is off the ground and you hold the tyre and move it from side to side of centre, if you feel a slight notch... it means your are soon to be up for new fork bearings - it's supposed to be smooth
6. the labout rate for Redeline Honda mechanics in Mackay, Queensland, Australia is AU$66/hr
7. I want to make a habit of taking days off work to go riding... it is so good when the sun is out and hardly any slow weekend drivers are clogging the roads - and Police are at the station eating donuts waiting for the weekend

8. I recommend seeing Kokoda if you like serious war movies

Old 05-25-2006, 07:36 AM

I like to here feedback on the K&N thing, as I believe most guy have K&N, (I do).

Try The camping shops, I think you can get something, but you will properly find it’s going to be open face (or get a scarf).

fork bearings or wheel bearings?

For a first service, I would properly have them look at a carbie sync and a value clearance, (unless you have history of the bike servicing)

Old 05-25-2006, 09:05 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can order balaclavas and the like from any of the UK dealers, try Busters
Post charges may be excessive to OZ though.

http://www.busters-accessories.co.uk/products.asp?id=67

Old 05-25-2006, 11:11 AM

Probably what to check State law on that one, cause if you get pulled for speeding, and the cop ask you to take your helmet off, your going to be looking pretty.

Old 05-25-2006, 09:30 PM

After i told one person about the K&N theory, he sadi maybe it has something to do with carbys having a more petrol rich environment for the air cleaner which would dissolve the K&N filters?

Open face would be fine, i want it to keep the cold off my neck and when I have to wear my fugly old helmet, keep the foam dust out of my hair ears and eyes.

Fork Bearings.

I told them to do everything they could think of for a bike they had no service history of so I hope they did the carby sync and clearances. It runs a nicer than it did so I'm going to guess they did it... I might give em a call to check later.

How about one of those white anti-fire head gear that racing drivers have on tv? I'll track something down... I even had someone offer to make one for me

Old 05-26-2006, 10:43 AM

I think Divers wear a head gear of some sort, (that divers in under water)

Old 05-27-2006, 07:48 AM

Hi Triangle,

I had a few modified older bikes and cars before. Filters are all about airflow. The only thing that will restrict power on a bike is having a blocked filter or having a filter that it not matched to carb jets and exhaust. One of the most popular mods to older bikes like the GSX1100s, z900 etc was Pod filters. Whether they be foam, paper or gauze.

It must be a Queenslander thing that they dont allow balaclavas. I with with an Oxford one bought from the local bike shop for $15. If the bike shops dont have one you can buy a fire protective one for racing from your local Revolution Race gear shop etc for $80.
I have never had a problem with the cops for wearing one.

Old 05-28-2006, 04:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: first service and tune - with result

Hey Tri A, If any shop, told me that BS. about K&N's, I'd go find a "real" bike shop fast... that has got to be the most ignorant thing, I've ever heard !!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think they parked there porta potty over that huge VLF transmitter, at Pine gap !!!!!!!!!
hey, americans, do you realize the shop rate, Tri A is talke'n about... 66.$ OZ /HR. at 1.80$ US, per Oz dollar. Yikes!!!!! TriA, hope it all works out for you... I think redeline, is on crack!!!!!!!!! RUN !!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 05-28-2006, 05:58 AM
Default RE: first service and tune - with result

66 bucks OZ dollar per hour is about right, just got to get a good mechanic that's quick

Quick Reply: first service and tune - with result