CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

First real road trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 12:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm hearing you mate. Of all places I got a ticket for spreading and 10 k's over the limit near Bordertown and mate it must of been the only ticket written in a decade. Of all places , there are hardly even any people out there let alone a speed camera.

We have been to tassie a few times and wine glass bay is fantastic but yes your right the roads are tremendous. We even got down to southport. Also love the fly fishing that you have down there

Old 07-27-2016, 08:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gazz
I'm hearing you mate. Of all places I got a ticket for spreading and 10 k's over the limit near Bordertown and mate it must of been the only ticket written in a decade. Of all places , there are hardly even any people out there let alone a speed camera.

We have been to tassie a few times and wine glass bay is fantastic but yes your right the roads are tremendous. We even got down to southport. Also love the fly fishing that you have down there
10k over? That's 6.2mph! Wow. That's harsh. My "safe" rule is what I call the 7/11 rule....7mph over on side streets, 11mph over on the highway. I'd think it's pretty safe to say that (at least around here) you'll NEVER get pulled over for that. Now, 125 in a 65 might get their attention. Hehehe.

Warner

Old 07-27-2016, 10:22 PM

Once upon a time, and yes that's like back in fairytale land we would also say 10% over was pretty safe, but things have drastically changed.

Parking meter cops are actually on a required budget and I remember a few years ago now that there was an article done on the in the Brisbane metropolitan area alone each individual parking meter cop had to write $700 k in tickets per annum yep that's in thousands per parking meter cop.

There has been a real push here in Australia to actually privatise the speed cameras as they are really pulling massive amounts of revenue in.

Last December we were driving back from Sydney to Queensland, we had stayed overnight in a small town enroute anyway about 0830 the next morning we are coming through a medium size town, not city just town but it was workers traffic so it was bumper to bumper in two lanes going either way, well under the speed limit, next thing I see a highway patrol vehicle go past us heading in the other direction, and he done a u turn and pulled us over.
Up to the side of the vehicle he walked and said, sir you were going in excess of 20 kilometres over the speed limit, I'm going to write you an infringement notice for that and it will be $395 plus 3 points off my license.
I bucked big time but politely, said to him, sir, I wasn't speeding, I was in the middle of traffic and going with the flow, apart from that, I have this new pioneer stereo that we have not long installed and it talks to me when ever I am going over the speed limit and further to that I have this little gadget that records on a micro sd card anything that goes on including our speed as well as video footage of and voice recording of even what we are saying now including what you are saying to me.
He closed his book, walked back to the patrol car, came back with a ticket for 10 kilometres over the speed limit, $110 fine and 1 point loss, and said feel free to come back to court here if you would like to fight it.

I was furious but after investigating it all if we had of wanted to contest the fine, it would of meant travel back to where the court would be which would mean a minimum of three days plus travel plus motel which would far out way the $110 plus in the legislation it states that if a fine is contested the judge has the right to fine you a total of $2000 if he believes in fact you were at falt

That's our lovely micro managed free country.

I've got a better story than that one though and it's a laugh

Old 07-27-2016, 10:39 PM

Once upon a time, and yes that's like back in fairytale land we would also say 10% over was pretty safe, but things have drastically changed.

Parking meter cops are actually on a required budget and I remember a few years ago now that there was an article done on the in the Brisbane metropolitan area alone each individual parking meter cop had to write $700 k in tickets per annum yep that's in thousands per parking meter cop.

There has been a real push here in Australia to actually privatise the speed cameras as they are really pulling massive amounts of revenue in.

Last December we were driving back from Sydney to Queensland, we had stayed overnight in a small town enroute anyway about 0830 the next morning we are coming through a medium size town, not city just town but it was workers traffic so it was bumper to bumper in two lanes going either way, well under the speed limit, next thing I see a highway patrol vehicle go past us heading in the other direction, and he done a u turn and pulled us over.
Up to the side of the vehicle he walked and said, sir you were going in excess of 20 kilometres over the speed limit, I'm going to write you an infringement notice for that and it will be $395 plus 3 points off my license.
I bucked big time but politely, said to him, sir, I wasn't speeding, I was in the middle of traffic and going with the flow, apart from that, I have this new pioneer stereo that we have not long installed and it talks to me when ever I am going over the speed limit and further to that I have this little gadget that records on a micro sd card anything that goes on including our speed as well as video footage of and voice recording of even what we are saying now including what you are saying to me.
He closed his book, walked back to the patrol car, came back with a ticket for 10 kilometres over the speed limit, $110 fine and 1 point loss, and said feel free to come back to court here if you would like to fight it.

I was furious but after investigating it all if we had of wanted to contest the fine, it would of meant travel back to where the court would be which would mean a minimum of three days plus travel plus motel which would far out way the $110 plus in the legislation it states that if a fine is contested the judge has the right to fine you a total of $2000 if he believes in fact you were at falt

I've got a better story than that one though and it's a laugh
Ugh....that sounds horrible. I was literally cruising for several miles (with traffic!) On Sunday at 100mph. Speed limit was 70, most traffic going 85, and a few cars in front of me rolling along at 100 (160 kph).

Warner

Old 07-28-2016, 06:11 AM

Yeh, we wish , a lot of our roads still are not upto international standards, and the ones that are get so overcrowded. Sydney I think has just hit the 5 million population so we are still very sparsely populated but the roads just are not designed to carry the traffic that we are getting now.
Eventually most of the main national highway will be pretty good but it's got a long way to go yet.
My son and I took off this afternoon for a ride, it's probably one of the best feelings I have had in my life mate, actually going for a ride with my son. Just doesn't get any better than that.
We're still playing around with his suspension on his cbr1000rr just trying to get it comfortable for the non metropolitan roads. I told him he might have to get a ball protector as the seating position pulls you right into the tank, fine on smooth toads but through some big bumps in and it's borderline painfull.
We have spent the evening looking at the new Yamaha xsr900 as a possible second bike for him so he can get a bit of normal riding and then jump on the RR occasionally. I've tried to persuade him into a 2006 cbr1000xx limited edition that's come up for sale, immaculate condition with 8000 kilometres on the clock, never been even rained on but he's just I think still to young to appreciate the advantages of the real sports tourer. He's ridden mine a few times but there is just so big of a physical size difference to my f to his rr that it seems overwhelming to a point but I'm hopeful he will come around

Old 08-02-2016, 06:13 AM

The very few times, over many years, that I've gotten a moving violation (in US, all in Texas), I've opted for "deferred adjudication".

Yes, the "fee" is the same amount as the fine, but after 3-6 months (depends on district's policy), if you don't get a ticket, the original is wiped from your record.

Old 08-02-2016, 06:55 AM

That's a good system.
Our system is way over micro managed here.
My eldest boy turns 20 in late October. We bought him a v8 sc400 in immaculate condition, one owner. We had checked with the department of motor transport that it was fine for him to drive it, as he being still on his provisional license until late October.
In Australia young ones on provisional or learners licenses are limited in what they can drive or ride. It all comes down to power to weight ratio.
On bikes it's pretty much has to be under 600cc and cars it cannot be a v8 or turbo charged or supercharged. Crazy as smaller capacity bikes are still fast and powerful as well as some cars.
So after department of transport telling us it was ok because even though it was a v8, it would fall under the category of power to weight ratio suitable to give him an exemption to drive it.
Away we go and buy it, next thing they tell us after changing rego over into our sons name after purchasing the cat, that he isn't allowed to drive it because it's a v8.
We had paid for the car, paid for a roadworthy inspection, paid transfer and stamp duty fees, paid registration fees and then told no he can't drive it.
I hit the roof, after 2 days of me telling them how stupid they are, the department of motor transport comes up with an idea.
Change the rego over into my wife's name, pay another transfer fee and stamp duty and they will give our son an exemption to drive the car.
He's not allowed to drive it if he owns it but he can drive it if he doesn't own it.
All for the sake of a few months and he will be on his full license anyway but that's how silly our system is here.
As our son says, dad you would think that they would understand that a person would tend to look after and drive more responsibly a vehicle they actually own.
Anyway we live in a weird world.
Our son is not 20 yet and owns two four wheel drives, one car, 3 motorcycles and 2 boats, all registered through the same department of motor transport, never had even a parking ticket and they can't see a responsible person if one head butted them

Old 08-02-2016, 08:35 AM

That's a good system.
Our system is way over micro managed here.
My eldest boy turns 20 in late October. We bought him a v8 sc400 in immaculate condition, one owner. We had checked with the department of motor transport that it was fine for him to drive it, as he being still on his provisional license until late October.
In Australia young ones on provisional or learners licenses are limited in what they can drive or ride. It all comes down to power to weight ratio.
On bikes it's pretty much has to be under 600cc and cars it cannot be a v8 or turbo charged or supercharged. Crazy as smaller capacity bikes are still fast and powerful as well as some cars.
So after department of transport telling us it was ok because even though it was a v8, it would fall under the category of power to weight ratio suitable to give him an exemption to drive it.
Away we go and buy it, next thing they tell us after changing rego over into our sons name after purchasing the cat, that he isn't allowed to drive it because it's a v8.
We had paid for the car, paid for a roadworthy inspection, paid transfer and stamp duty fees, paid registration fees and then told no he can't drive it.
I hit the roof, after 2 days of me telling them how stupid they are, the department of motor transport comes up with an idea.
Change the rego over into my wife's name, pay another transfer fee and stamp duty and they will give our son an exemption to drive the car.
He's not allowed to drive it if he owns it but he can drive it if he doesn't own it.
All for the sake of a few months and he will be on his full license anyway but that's how silly our system is here.
As our son says, dad you would think that they would understand that a person would tend to look after and drive more responsibly a vehicle they actually own.
Anyway we live in a weird world.
Our son is not 20 yet and owns two four wheel drives, one car, 3 motorcycles and 2 boats, all registered through the same department of motor transport, never had even a parking ticket and they can't see a responsible person if one head butted them
And THAT, sir, would **** me off! Yikes.....first they take your guns away, then treat you like criminals with no reason to. Not that I could afford to, but that just got the big NO stamped on the "places to move" sheet.

Warner

Old 08-02-2016, 05:29 PM

snipped
On bikes it's pretty much has to be under 600cc and cars it cannot be a v8 or turbo charged or supercharged.
Back when I turned 15 (almost 45 years now), you could get a restricted license and ride a bike no more than 100cc. I bought a Kawasaki 100 Trail Boss - it had a switchable 10 speed (5 high for road, 5 low for trail) tranny. When I hit 16, I replaced the 100 with a Kaw 250, then months later, got a Kaw Z1.

Nowadays, in Texas, you can ride up to a 250 when you're 15, and at 16, the CCs are wide open. Not sure if there's a limit on cars (engine wise), but at 15, you have to have an adult in the front seat.