CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Fireball out exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2008, 10:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fireball out exhaust?

Ok, so browsing YouTube I found this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTOqk8S89gc

Now I know that's a single sided exhaust, which I have been looking at (after body work lol)... I also noticed the dark smoke on one of the pops. So the question is this, is this just running rich due to a jet kit, poor tune of the carbs, what? My old Nighthawk 750 did a very small blue one once in awhile, but the exhaust was very short and no baffles.

I know it looks cool, but I'd hate to get a ticket for it. I did search here and Google and no luck yet... any help?

Old 11-03-2008, 10:49 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Fireball out exhaust?

Looks like fuel in the exhaust igniting due to over-rich mixture and poor settings. Bike probably won't do it under load, unless it's really bad - notice the flame only burns when the accellerator is shut off ?
Hard to tell from here.........

BTW have a look on e-Bay.de (Germany) - there's a full set of fairings and a screen consol up for grabs.

Old 11-03-2008, 12:59 PM

On my way lol, good looking out and many thank yous lol!

Yeah, I know my friends wrx does the same thing, but his is because it's tuned heavily for high boost, has a high/low boost switch. While on low boost (dailystreet), it will run a little rich and make a nice pop with a fireball. Again, it's when the throttle closes and excess fuel ignites in the pipe.

I noticed this on this bike in the video and wondered what was causeing that heavy of a blast since as I said, my friends car does one the same size. Bikes usually run leaner mixtures then cars from what I remember, so it caught my attention.

*edit... I dont speak German, man it's hard to find out the conditions, still looking though. Forget single sided, I think I found my replacement dual setup! I never thought to look in Germany for parts, thanks a ton!

Old 11-03-2008, 01:17 PM

Full fairing set + screen on UK site
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CBR1000-CBR-10...Item?hash=item

Old 11-03-2008, 08:19 PM

Thanks Shadow, I may have to pick that up seeing that I wanted to paint the bike black anyways lol. Contacted the seller to find out shipping here to the US. Just got to lose the pink graphics lol. And Sir Classic, yes they are fun for awhile, but I would hate to get one of the local law boys pissed off. They don't like stuff like that too much lol. I was more curious if it was due to jetting and how to avoid that. My old 750 Nighthawk used to pop small flames likethat after I modded the carbs to keep up with the open exhaust lol... ahhh, good times.

Old 11-03-2008, 11:21 PM

Mine has a free flow exhaust and K&N airfilter and Dynojets, and it 'pops' under decelleration - always has......never seen flames tho..........[X(]

Old 11-04-2008, 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

Full fairing set + screen on UK site
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CBR1000-CBR-10...Item?hash=item

eBay US has almost nothing for Hurricanes. In general there's almost no aftermarket for the bikes here and very few replacement shocks. What I really want is to revalve the forks.

Sorry for hijacking the thread with my complaints. I have enjoyed riding the bike very much.

Quick Reply: Fireball out exhaust?