CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Finally Done with my rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally Done with my rebuild

I have finally finished my painting project! You guys have been very helpful and supportive so here is the result of all the hard work.

Before (Just in case you have never seen it other than in peices):
Name:  100_0044.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  61.1 KB

After:
Name:  IMG_5690.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  100.6 KB

Name:  IMG_5691.jpg
Size:  90.8 KB

Name:  IMG_5692.jpg
Size:  102.2 KB

Name:  IMG_5693.jpg
Size:  122.6 KB

Thanks all! I couldn't have done this without you. I am by no means done, but this is a good stopping point for now so I can actually ride this thing!

MDFF

Old 01-30-2007, 06:54 PM
Default RE: Finally Done

That looks just beautiful MDFF. What more can I say?

Old 01-30-2007, 07:00 PM

BRAVO

Old 01-30-2007, 07:48 PM

Great job. Looks like a head turner.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 01-30-2007, 09:01 PM

[sm=hail.gif]Does Madkawa have competition for ride of the month. I think so!
Awesome job! Makes me want to repaint mine before riding season. Mine's an older model but I'm working on trying to make it turn some heads. When you use two-stage paint do you have to use different spray nozzles for the clear coat versus the base coat? I've only painted with single stage urethanes. But I really like the gloss on your bike!!!Are you planning on putting on any decals?

Old 01-31-2007, 12:53 AM

Thanks Chuck,

The two stage I got used the same nozzle/neddle combo for the gun I was using (HVLP non-gravity fed). The biggest thing I had to learn was the flow setting, and pressure setting combo. You have to get it just right or it will be inconsistant across the peice. I learn ALOT durring this whole process so if you got questions, I got answers.

Decals.... maybe... haven't decided yet. I really like the way it is now but it does look a little open in some places. If I could find the right style I would probally put it on, but I'm am super picky now. The one I knew was going on was was the wing/honda combo. And that is a brushed aluminum decal that I cleared over so it looks super sharp. The other thing that is for suregoing on the tank is a CBR sliver/black pad so I don't scratch the hell out of it with my belt or jacket zipper.

And one that I would really like is a black CBRForum.com decalon the silversection right under the tail light. I'll probally have to have it made somewhere but I don't know of a custom decal maker that isn't going to charge up the butt for a one off. *shrug*

Thanks everyone! Never would have been possible without you!

MDFF

Old 01-31-2007, 10:23 PM

The spray gun that I have is an HVLP non-gravity also. I might just have to try this before the season. Did you spray your primer through the gun also? And I'm going to do a sneaky thread hi-jack but... What year is your bike? I'm looking for a front fender similar to yours to install on my older bike. Because I'm wanting to polish my fork tubes. My old one covers it all up. Back to the thread... I think CBRforum.com stickers are a good idea. It shouldn't cost too much to get one made. If you get stickers made you can probably come up with some design for some 1000F stickers, or something too. Most decal shops charge only pennies more for 10 decals than for 1. Only because they use their vinyl by the foot. So why get only one out of a foot when you can get ten or more for the same price? If I can get ahold of a guy that make decals around here I'll let you know how much. About what dimensions are youlooking for? I might order some too.

Old 01-31-2007, 11:00 PM

Forgot to mentiont it.... Have you looked on our sponsor site... ALLOUTGRAPHICS.com ??? I just looked and they can make what your looking for. Costs is around $15. Looks like you can get just about anything you'd want from there. I'm lookin'

Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 AM

The primer I used required a different nossle/neddle combo (a bit larger) because it is just naturally thicker and whatnot. Just have to make sure to reduce it correctly accoring to the directions.

My bike is a 94' (FR). I'm not sure if the fender would fit on yours but it would be interesting to try. I'm not a big fan of the way the older one looks, covering up so much like that. It should be very similar but I beleive that the forks on mine are proballyfurther apartthen yours, but I can't say for sure.

I'm lookin at ALLOUTGRAPHICS.com right now. They seem very reasonable but have limited freedom on the custom ones. Doesn't really need to be anything special. I might have someone localy that I know from highschool that works at a sign company do some for me. She is the graphic designer for them on the weekends. We will see how that pans out.

MDFF

Old 02-01-2007, 05:44 PM

Hey Chuck, i agree about the front fender on the older cbf's - awful... i cut mine down, did a bad job (cut a little to much off) but it can be done, i also hear that the later model fenders can be used on ours, just a matter of getting one cheap enough!

firefighter your paint job is 1st class...