CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Figured out the slow steering 96 CBR

Old 07-23-2006, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Figured out the slow steering 96 CBR

Well, you guys were right. The tire pressures were down in the low 30's and after I pumped them up to 36/42 psi it handled much better. Also, I wasn't looking very close at the rear tires and thought they were 170's, but they are 180/55R17 which might slow the steering some. Anyway, it's really good now and I just have to take some time to change the chain and sprockets.

Thanks,

Pat

Old 07-23-2006, 06:26 PM
Default RE: Figured out the slow steering 96 CBR

I keep my tires inflated to the max number on the tire - if it's 42 on the front, put it at 42 and keep it from dropping below 40. Tires will get maximum life and will give you the best ride.

Old 07-26-2006, 08:00 AM
dad

Be careful with that much air in the front. It can lock easier under hard braking. Even a couple of pounds makes a difference. The factory recommends 36PSI for the front and that's what really should be used. The higher pressure might be a little easier on tire wear but does sacrifice hard braking grip.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:16 PM

Honda manual recommended tire psi relates to the original tires only. One should always go by the tire markings, max pressure gives best handling and tire life.

Old 07-26-2006, 02:29 PM
dad

Please, as diplomatically as I can say it, that's just wrong. The pressure on the tire is the maximum pressure for the tire at the maximum load rating and NOT the optimum pressure for every application. The tire's performance is best at the appropriate inflation for the load and conditions and is what the engineers determine from their tests and knowledge. Most, if not all, of the tires, including the OEM's, will have a maximum pressure listed on the sidewall that is higher than the factory recommended pressure. Some tire manufacturer's web sites have tables that list the factory recommended pressures for each model and suggest that they be followed.

Overinflating the front will allow the front to lock much sooner than it will at factory recommended pressures. I know this from an understanding of the principles AND from first hand experience. The same is true for car and truck tires, too.

Old 07-26-2006, 03:29 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well put dad.

chesthing, proper tire inflation is the key here for tire longevity.
The manufactures start with a tire and build a bike around it. If the design does not work they pick another tire and start to redesign the bike to the tire. Sometimes the go to the tire manufacture and tell them they need a tire for a bike that is still on the drawing boards. Recommended tire pressure is based on veichel weight and stresses.

By over inflating your front tire it will perform poorly in wet conditions and lock early as dad stated (more of a chatter than lock I think in some cases).

Old 07-26-2006, 04:06 PM

I respectfully disagree with you on this one, dad. The maximum psi for radial car tires is 35 lbs, and that is what should be put in them, a bike tire is no different. Putting 35 psi in a bike tire with a max psi of 42 is like putting 28 lbs in a car tire with 35 max.

Old 07-26-2006, 04:28 PM
dad

Here you go. Dunlop's site. Recommended tire and pressure by model. Front pressure, 36 PSI recommended.

Edit: You'll have to scroll down and select Honda and then CBR-1000F, any year. The link won't go direct.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/fitmentguide.asp

Then the tire data alone including maximum pressure. Max pressure, 42 PSI which is what will be molded into sidewall. This one goes direct.

http://www.dunlopmotorcycle.com/tire...tire.asp?id=74

Old 07-26-2006, 05:14 PM

chesthing, I am sorry to say that your thinking is incorrect.
On a car, an under inflated tire wears on the outsides and an over inflated tire wears on the center of the tire. If the tire is correctly inflated, the load is distrubited evenly.

Load is the key. If you look at the chart where dad directed you, you will see max load at tire pressure. I have the following.

120/70 17 front
170/60 17 rear
at 42 PSI, I would require 520 lb's of load up front and 783 lb's in the rear for proper tire pressure/load ratio.

That's 1,303 lb's for the vehicle, rider plus fuel. My bike weighs 548 lb's.
OK then, 1303-548=755 lb's for the rider. I am not that heavy but some stress in turns adds to weighting the tire. No-where near the 1303 at max PSI.

Old 07-26-2006, 05:24 PM

One more thing to add,
The use of radial tires allows the contact patch of the tire to contact the pavement when the sidewall flexes. Over inflation works against this design, not allowing the tire to flex as it should and the tire will skid or slip in turns.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Figured out the slow steering 96 CBR