CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Failed to start

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 08:39 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the replies guys, been away at work so not had a chance to do anything yet.

Problem was definitely electrical, she was getting fuel no problem, kill switch seems to be operating normally and was the first thing I thought of too.

I'll go through all the fuses and connectors one by one, it was a nasty damp rainy day so that's top of my suspect list right now.

I'll let you know if I find anything

Old 11-29-2011, 07:04 AM

OK it's confession time. I think the problem was lack of fuel

Checked the battery/fuses and thought I'd take her to fill up and see how she runs. Got to a steep down hill and she conked out, drove to the petrol station in my car filled up a jerry can and put it in the tank.........nothing, hooked up a booster battery......nothing, fiddled about with the fuses again......nothing. But after a lot of cranking she eventually started up, rode her home and went to buy a new battery because I just didn't trust the old one even though it checked out OK.

Monday started her again, thought I'd go fill her up, riding down hill again she conked out! After the usual fiddling about I remembered I'd switched her from reserve to normal, thinking there was enough fuel in there and sure enough the in-line filter I'd fitted had a nice big air bubble in there.

It seems that I'm an IDIOT, very embarrassed and wouldn't normally confess to such stupidity, but it wouldn't be fair to the bike and I hate it when people resolve problems but don't update the thread.

Haven't ridden her much, but she seems to be running fine, hopefully this ordeal is over. All I need now to avoid this problem in the future is a bike that runs on fresh air

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Oh well, at least you didn't tear into her.

The air bubble should not hurt things either. Fuel usually runs in and thru past the bubble most of the times. That tricky little **** on the petcock can cause havoc however. LOL

Old 11-29-2011, 03:46 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hawkwind
OK it's confession time. I think the problem was lack of fuel

Checked the battery/fuses and thought I'd take her to fill up and see how she runs. Got to a steep down hill and she conked out, drove to the petrol station in my car filled up a jerry can and put it in the tank.........nothing, hooked up a booster battery......nothing, fiddled about with the fuses again......nothing. But after a lot of cranking she eventually started up, rode her home and went to buy a new battery because I just didn't trust the old one even though it checked out OK.

Monday started her again, thought I'd go fill her up, riding down hill again she conked out! After the usual fiddling about I remembered I'd switched her from reserve to normal, thinking there was enough fuel in there and sure enough the in-line filter I'd fitted had a nice big air bubble in there.

It seems that I'm an IDIOT, very embarrassed and wouldn't normally confess to such stupidity, but it wouldn't be fair to the bike and I hate it when people resolve problems but don't update the thread.

Haven't ridden her much, but she seems to be running fine, hopefully this ordeal is over. All I need now to avoid this problem in the future is a bike that runs on fresh air
Hey:

Hawk ,Thanks for manning up and not blaming the bike or above all else, leaving the thread

hanging.

It is very stand up of you to do the right thing, not that you wouldn't, but much good luck and Many Good Kudos to you for doing so.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 11-30-2011 at 03:16 AM.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

Hawk ,Thanks for manning up and not blaming the bike or above all else, leaving the thread
hanging It is very stand up of you to do the right thing, not that you wouldn't, but much good luck and Many Good Kudos to you for doing so.

Dub
Cheers guys, you can take the pi55 a little bit though

I did the classic problem fixation thing, where you're so convinced of something, you ignore all evidence to the contrary. Battery was 2 1/2 years old, must be the problem

There were a couple of curve ***** in there, but the lesson is don't rush, don't panic, be methodical!

BTW TBT you have the honour of crowning me Prik of the month!! You were right on the money

Old 11-29-2011, 10:53 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
Take the Pi55 huh ?
OK, consider it taken, Hawk.
But you're not the first and for sure not the last.....
I remember when I first got back into bikes, checking the oil on my old XJ900 and adding two pints because it looked very low - forgot the bike was on its side stand,and the site glass would look empty, so had to ride home very slowly and drop the two pints out again

Old 11-30-2011, 02:20 AM

Hawk, I wouldn't take the p!ss mate .

You're not the first or last to be caught by that one. You are, however, one of the rare few who would nut up and admit it.

I take my virtual hat off to you for that and I'm glad you didn't blow the $ on a new battery. Also it's good the bloke doing the test said it was ok rather than bleed you.

All good!

Old 11-30-2011, 09:51 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
forgot the bike was on its side stand
Soooooo funny! But then again, I changed an ALT on a car and it still would not charge. I couldn't figure it out so I took it to a shop. As soon as I returned home the phone rang and the car was ready.

Shop guy: "We hooked up the field wire, you owe us $100".

Old 11-30-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're in good company. When I used to race dirt bikes, Husky 430, that was so common that many of us put the sticker "turn on the gass dummy" on our tanks. plus you manned up. Cheers

Old 11-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Welcome Crew
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

He,he, oh well at least it was a cheap fix! I remember getting the fuel tank and bar lube tank mixed up on a brand new Stihl chainsaw once, got a few laughs on that one.

Quick Reply: Failed to start