CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Engine temps!

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 09:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine temps!

Cruising, my '87 needle sits @ ~ 2/6. In traffic at red lights the needle creeps up to 5/6 (red zone would be 6/6). Fan will kick on and off with needle swinging between 4/6 & 5/6.

I had overflow out of the reserve tank once ... after I had inadvertantly overfilled the system.

Yours sounds normal.

Old 07-20-2006, 08:06 PM

Thought it was just me... guess we're all the same on temps. Listen, my friend/mechanic told me one way to drop the temp is to add "water wetter" into the coolant - any of you try that?

Old 07-20-2006, 09:33 PM

I've used water wetter in other applications. It works. But I'm not worried about a few degrees and so far even in the mid 90's in traffic mine has not got into the red...yet.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:20 AM

I've got a 94 and I live in Costa Rica. The temp here is around 85 degrees all year round. My bike just started getting hotter than normal a few days ago. Before it would stay about 1/3 on the highway and around 12 o clock in hot stop in go.

A few days ago I noticed it was running around 3/4 in stop and go traffic.

I figured out the spring on the thermostat was very weak from age. Replaced the spring and she is running nice and cool again.

It sounds like a few of you might have the same problem.

Old 07-24-2006, 04:16 PM

The man from Costa Rica may be on to something here. I changed the tstat over the weekend and it does run more on the cooler side, although the heat wave has passed here in the northeast.

The dealer wanted $50 for a 180 deg Honda thermostat. I found a Stant auto type that fits with a minor mod for under $10. The job is not that hard to do, the manual says to remove the entire front fairing, but I was able to do it by removing the access cover underneath the right side handlebar and the right side fairing only. Its a littel bit of a tight area but do-able...

If someone wants the Stant # I can give it, but I assume no responsibilities.... I figured I'd watch mine for a while and see if I have any problems..

Old 07-24-2006, 11:36 PM

Hey gregp, I'll take that number, but most importantly, I wait to hear your report back after a while about how its working. Mine isn't having any problems, as I do run the water wetter.

Old 07-25-2006, 01:02 AM

Yeah... it was a little hot commuting home tonight. This was the high temp when I was in downtown Seattle today, stuck in traffic.
This global warming sucks...... Remember this is Seattle! We are known for our moss and slugs!
Oh btw the bike was fine, it never went above the mark even sitting in traffic.

Old 07-25-2006, 09:48 AM

Hey Captain, your bike runs way to cool! 112 deg is not hot enough to boil any condensation in the oil, or is that the exterior temp!

If I can remember to look for the Stant part, I'll post it tomorrow.

Old 07-25-2006, 07:54 PM

That's the outside temp... LOL

Old 07-29-2006, 08:24 PM

ok, the temps finally went up today and I had a chance to take the bike out. With the new tstat the bike does run cooler. It never got above the midway mark and the electric fans didn't run as long.

The Stant thermostat number I used is 13958. But you have to grind off the outer circumference and remove the stamped ring. If you compare the Honda stat to the Stant one, you will see what I am talking about. The Honda one has no groove and allows the stat to lay flush. The Stant one will look like it fits, but the oring seal on the housing will not seal it. Ask me how I know!

Remember to keep the weep hole at the top. Again, remember this is a car stat so proceed at your own risk.

I will say my bike temps are more like the way I remember it when new.

I'd be interested in any feedback you guys can give.

Quick Reply: Engine temps!