CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Downpipe fitting Tips...Any

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 04:12 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well done mate. Snapped studs would be a big worry for me, as I wouldn't know the first thing about drilling them out and re-tapping the holes.

I know I'm a big whimp

Glad you got it done with no hitches so far.

Joe, you're right, a lot of systems just have one side of the collector box blocked off.

Old 07-25-2010, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Joe, you're right, a lot of systems just have one side of the collector box blocked off.
I would think that would be a little restrictive?

Old 07-25-2010, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JHouse
I would think that would be a little restrictive?

Probably depends on what can goes on. The standard twin mufflers are very restrictive so with a free flowing single can you probably end up with the same or slightly less restriction, even though one side is blocked off. I remember a rep. from an exhaust company was on here a while ago and said the single can they supplied had the same flow as the standard twin system even with the plug and, therefore, needed no re-jetting.

Old 07-25-2010, 09:39 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get some high temp anti seize spray. apply liberally to the nut threads. Next time you do the job you'll thank yourself. Check the nut torque next time you give a service just to be sure nothing has worked loose.
+1,000
Stuck exhaust nuts/studs are a major pain in the ****. You got real lucky, roar.
Henry... not so lucky. lol.. But good advice.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:04 AM

***UPDATE***
Bike is still off the road as the exhaust wouldn't fit. The company are going to ship a replacement set so hope to be on the road next week.

Also have a quick question. Whats the easiest way to remove the exhaust gaskets from the head? Damn things won't budge...

Old 08-18-2010, 10:55 AM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a bugger , well a seal puller or small L pick in between the head and the gasket might break 'em loose

Old 08-18-2010, 12:14 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY

Originally Posted by cbroar
***UPDATE***
Bike is still off the road as the exhaust wouldn't fit. The company are going to ship a replacement set so hope to be on the road next week.

Also have a quick question. Whats the easiest way to remove the exhaust gaskets from the head? Damn things won't budge...

The washers are just brass. Add some heat, maybe some WD40... I just used a small screw driver to pry them out.

Old 08-25-2010, 10:20 AM

Got the replacement downpipes today and an hour later they are on and fit great..delighted with them. In my excitement i thought id change the rear brake pads so off with the wheel, fit the new ebc pads but for the life of me i can't get the pads over the disc. I've been trying for the last 2 hours but no luck..apart from removing half the paint from the wheel. What were honda thinking when they designed the rear brake on these bikes, its f*"kin impossible. I just had to leave it alone before i set fire to the damn thing...

I got the pistons all the way back in the caliper and removed the pad shims but they still wont go over the disc. Looks like i'll just put the old ones back in, only half worn.

Anyway thought i'd have the bike on the road today but those brake pads broke my spirit so i think i'll leave it a few days until i calm down..

Attached Thumbnails Downpipe fitting Tips...Any-newexhaust1.jpg   Downpipe fitting Tips...Any-newexhaust2.jpg  
Old 08-25-2010, 09:11 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Grind them- the backs-, a "tick" ( technical term for "make the ****ers fit" )
with an angle grinder in a bench vise........ NO GUTS NO GLORY

Some Dutch Gold to celebrate LOL.......jk

Last edited by Sprock; 08-25-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:10 AM

Dutch gold!! Can't afford that anymore, its Perlenbacher from lidl these days great stuff.
Couldn't be arsed sorting the new pads out so put the old ones back in, they've about 4k left on them anyway.

Your not the same Sprock that does be lurking around Biker.ie by any chance.....

Last edited by cbroar; 08-26-2010 at 04:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Downpipe fitting Tips...Any