CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Does anyone have an old tank, any condition

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2010, 11:31 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Only a problem if the underside of your tank has been repainted, Mike. Not likely to be a problem, with your tank If you ever need to coat the inside of your tank due to a leak or rust, you'd have to shove a piece of wire up the air vent (width of paperclip wire is as big as will fit) and leave it in when the coating is done, and then remove to ensure your airway stays open.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:34 AM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Phew, ok I sohuld be safe then we didn't do the bottom. I'm getting off my **** and putting her back together today, just didn't have time. I'll have to take a look for the vent, I never looked at it before. Bang up job on your fix. Looks great!

Old 01-23-2010, 10:48 AM

I got my tank back on the bike and I was wondering..... Is there anything missing here or are these not attatched to anything.

Bike runs fine after I got it back on the bike, but I always hear of people pinching a vent line under the tank, is mine missing (the green boxes)?

Attached Thumbnails Does anyone have an old tank, any condition-100_0083.jpg....jpg  

Last edited by michealparks; 01-23-2010 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:57 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think theres a rubber "cup" on top of the carbs that it fits in Mike, so no, not missing....
Dunno about the lower green box......?.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:05 AM

Thank ya Shadow, I figured I wasn't or I would have noticed it over the past couple years. Just all this tank talk and then looking at the bottom of my tank on the install got the gears turning in my head

BTW, the painter did a great job covering the vent hole on top. Its nice to work with bike guys who know better! haha. Standby for a ton of new pics. Shes almost complete. I'll have to put up a side by side. Don't even recognize the old gal.

Old 01-26-2010, 08:12 PM

Ok guys, I am now looking in another direction.
TBT, I removed the carbs, and checked the floats per the factory method and they were all very close, if anything a bit low that would keep a lower fuel level(BTW, I see no way to adjust these floats, there is no metal tab to adjust on the float). The vent from the "connector" to the tank is clear, air passed through easily. Vent hose from connector to canister passed air ok as well. One thing I didn't do was suck on the hose to the canister. I also checked the plugs, I was not having any problem, I just wanted to look at them, perfect.

This is my new direction; this is a CA model. Don't know if others have the canister near the oil filter, but mine does. After I R&Red the carbs, the bike started very quickly, on the center stand, and ran great.

I suspect that possibly the canister may be the problem and causing a suction on the vent in the tank and with the tank full that vacuum is causing the fuel to be siphoned out of the tank at worst, and just causing a vacuum in the tank otherwise.

What do you "masterminds" think? Any CA model owners?
This is not a "have to fix today" kinda thing, if I use the center stand I have no problem.