CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Do You Lean Like I Do?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:44 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting. Makes sense I guess. I'm working on being a switch hitter. It be much funner to get deep in all the turns! Thanks for the feedback guys!

Old 06-23-2009, 02:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im left handed too, but i prefer right hand turns. I think for me, the reason i dont like left hand turns is because i dont like to go too low and get close to the center line because of traffic, and i also dont like to get too high either because of debris. Right hand turns are way easier and more fun. Ive noticed i barely have any chicken strips on the right and the left is almost twice the size of the right.

Ill get back to you after track day sunday and see if left hand turns are any easier when i know for sure there wont be a car around a left turn to take my head off.

Old 06-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK, I can't leave this topic alone. I just don't get it....

I know you linked a wiki article, sprocketman, but where does it explain anything about right or left turn preference based on science or hemispheres or whatever?
Are you talking about the coriolis effect or something? I wouldn't think it would make a difference at all.... very slight forces...

Did I miss something? Somebody help me out.... LOL...

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-23-2009 at 02:18 PM.
Old 06-23-2009, 02:54 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thought I smelled somethin' burnin'

Trout man

don't fixate on it too much y'll hurt yourself.

really just guessing is all !

Old 06-23-2009, 05:13 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ha ha....
I thought I got over the fixation hump a long time ago, but apparently not.

I see now. I just thought I was losing my mind because I read the article and then went back over it and couldn't find what I *thought* you were referring to as far as an explaination.

Carry on... don't mind me..

Old 06-23-2009, 06:12 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thought I'd chime in with my 2c worth here guy's 'cos I've also noticed I lean more to the right than the left when I look at my chicken strips on my rear tyre .

Now here in 'Old Blighty' we ride on the 'right' side of the road , which is of course the left confused yet?

Seriously though , we get a lot of roundabouts here and we go around in a clockwise direction , so I thought it was just that we got a lot more practice doing 'right handers' and therefore felt more comfortable leaning the bike over that way . But if that was the case you guys in the US should favour 'left handers', so that theory is shot out of the water

I make a concious effort to lean hard in left-handed turns , 'cos it bugs me to be uneven , but there is still a 1-2mm difference

Old 06-23-2009, 08:12 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A roundabout or rotary as it's known over here is not the same civilized experience
you have in western EU.

Over here and in the NorthEast States in particular it's a matter of goddamn survival.

Nobody yields, it's a case of the best man or woman going the fastest and looking
the most fearless that ultimately makes it through and yeah it's a CCW direction
meaning your hanging to the left which makes it more challenging.

During this all American experience the only thing you favo(u)r is coming out
the other side in one piece.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:57 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........

Sounds like a nightmare Sprock!

In the UK we giveway to traffic approaching from right , so if your on the roundabout you got right of way . But as always , on a bike you need to take that with a pinch of salt!

I normally hit the roads very late or very early so I can enjoy the twisties without the added entertainment of other road-users , you still got to be carfull of oncoming traffic , but at least I dont ride 5 miles to my favourite bend , only to take it at 20mph behind some old lady

I was in Tel-Aviv and we drove past a Police barracks , there was a guy on the parade ground doing figure of eights , at high speed , leaning it right over . It was great to watch and I thought a terrific way to practice leaning both ways , just wish I had somewhere to do that type of thing

Old 06-24-2009, 06:19 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Best would be an old air force runway.
Plenty of those near where you are..............!

Old 06-24-2009, 06:57 AM

I've been noticing on the track that I feel more comfortable turning right BUT that I have far better body position turning left. Go figure.

On the road I suspect it does have to do with your personal comfort hanging out on the yellow line. For us North Americans - that means going right puts the oncoming traffic on the outside of our corner and we have all the room in the world to cut left to the curb. You'd have the opposite experience. Personally I'm not worried about the curb, and worry more about having my head over the yellow paint when I'm turning left.

Quick Reply: Do You Lean Like I Do?