CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Disarming all lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 11:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Disarming all lights

On the topic of lights, Does anyone have any suggestions on how to replace the front headlight bulbs?? For the life of me I cannot get that stupid wire-clip back on the back of the H4 bulb. If anyone can shed a tip my way I would truely appreciate it!

Old 02-01-2008, 11:32 AM

I did a search of the forum for "bulb H4" and found some interesting threads. I hope some of them can answer your question.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the search info. I guess its just patience. I'm going to stick my digital camera in there so I can get a picture to see how the clip is situated as I cant see it from any angle. From there I'll just wing it, but I may end up taking apart the windshield and guages to get the better angle. [sm=signs003.gif]

Old 02-01-2008, 12:24 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I hope you're not trying to fit "non-Honda bulbes in there Gill, because they won't fit.....!!![sm=badidea.gif]
See my thread on headlight bulb adaptors. You can , as was suggested by Pacojiseph, (thanks PJ)cut the bottom two tabs off, the springs and the top tab will hold "normal" bulbs in, but you won't get non-Honda bulbs in there otherwise....I tried, 5 hours later with bloody fingers gave up..

Old 02-01-2008, 12:26 PM

Also, taking the screen off, and loosening the clocks to give you more "finger room" is the ONLY way to go...

Old 02-01-2008, 12:41 PM

The replacement bulbs look identical to the ones that came out. Not sure how they are different, they look the same. I'llhave a closer look when I get home just to be sure. I know what you mean about the bloody fingers, I just about wore a hole in me thumb last night!!
I decided on the 55/60 watt, but I hope that it doesn't melt anything going that high wattageas the old ones were 45/45...

Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 PM

Good luck with your endeavors.

DIAF

Old 02-01-2008, 10:24 PM

Hi Gill, I've had 60/55's in my bike for the last few years - I seldom ride at night, so the dip filaments went after 2 years (we ride with lights on all the time here) I fitted the blue tungsten type bulb which gives incredible light, and a nice blue tinge during the day......I'm sure my electrical problems had nothing to do with the bulbs...All British spec bikes came out with 60/55, and US bikes 45/45....But there's no difference to the electrical systems, they charge the same.
There is only 1 clip on the bulb, and it goes in by moving your thumb inwards and up.(says me, trying to remember) Sometimes a small spot of Press stick helps to hold the bulb while you're fiddling with the clip.

Old 02-02-2008, 11:56 AM

Thanks for the tips. I did end up taking off the windscreen and guages, didnt seem too bad just 3 8mm bolting them on. Yeah! once they were out of the way, presto! I could get at them no problem. I'll save more in bandaids this way too. My hands looked like i was in a fight with a cat or something the next day.

But of course there's more. Putting in the first bulb the lw beam didnt work. So of course I had the bulbs special ordered, so now I have to wait another couple days to get a new one. Grrrrrrr....If that dont fex er' I'll get a new set of those blue tungsten ones if you recommend them.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:38 PM

why don't you just put a switch in the tail and brake lights that way you are harder to see from the back but you can still see what you are doing

Quick Reply: Disarming all lights