CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Dilemma, just bought a 91

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 08:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dilemma, just bought a 91

Hey guys so here is my dilemma. I just picked up a 91 CBR1000 F I got it because it was cheap, real cheap. But the bad is the bike was taken apart, fairings etc. It appears the bike took a long ride on it's side in the dirt. It did take out most of the upper fairing, instrument cluster and windscreen. I don't know what to do. Try to find all the parts or just part it out. The bike has 35,000 miles on it. What would you do? I have most of the fairings but they need alot of work.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G'day willman. If it runs well and the frame shows no sign of damage, I'd try to find the parts and get it on the road. Can you get it rideable just for a short go to see if the frame is straight etc.? Do a compression test to get an idea of the motor.

I'd try to find most of the parts before buying any. That way you won't get stuck waiting on something or freak at the price. If you're handy at fairing repairs and good with a spray gun you could maybe fix it for not much money..just a lot of time. Post us a couple of pics mate, so we can see how bad it is.

These are great bikes and 35,000 miles is bugger all compared to some on the forum.

The other option if the bike is straight and the motor good would be to 'street fighter' it. I wouldn't do it to a bike in good nick but if that kind of thing is your bag you could end up with a cool bike for not much dosh.

Catch you later.

Old 02-28-2010, 10:19 PM

Only you can make the final decision according to your situation. I will however say that Dave is right on the money. These are good bikes & sadly under rated by many. I just put mine back together from a major bender. All up under $1000. That's fairing, paint, decals, frame repairs etc. The most expensive part was the frame @ $470 including head stem bearings.

Old 03-01-2010, 06:54 AM

Thanks guys you right I should fix it. I paid $400.00 for the bike, the kid said it needed carb work and didn't run. In a matter of an hour I had the bike running perfect. First off he didn't have the carb bolted all the way into the boots. and fuel line was routed were it was pinched. There is a coolant leak at the t-stat housing looks like the hose has a pinhole in it.

So no what fits these bike is it just 90-91 parts or will any other years work?

Old 03-02-2010, 02:05 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Some parts from other 1000F models will fit.
Instruments fromMk1 fit Mk2 but not Mk3 Etc

Check the 3 way plastic hose which you say is weeping.
What a bargain $400 ! Almost like theft..........hehe

Old 03-02-2010, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
Some parts from other 1000F models will fit.
Instruments fromMk1 fit Mk2 but not Mk3 Etc

Check the 3 way plastic hose which you say is weeping.
What a bargain $400 ! Almost like theft..........hehe
I guess I need to get caught up on the history of these bikes. MK1 Mk2 MK3 ?

Old 03-02-2010, 07:08 AM

wow, I def.would have bought her for $400. Heck get her running decent, and put her on eBay.

Old 03-02-2010, 09:03 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As Bubba says , if you get her running well , you could just sell her on 'as is' and probably see a profit

If you want a really great bike and you like working on them , I'd fix her up and keep her , she'll owe you nothing 'cos for $400 and a few fairings she'll always be worth more than what you paid for her.

These bikes are easy to work on , so if there is no other major damage , that's the way I'd go.

Quick Reply: Dilemma, just bought a 91