CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Digital Voltmeter

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 03:39 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Digital Voltmeter

Here's a pic of the finished article - now you can see why I say it's HOT in Africa !! 35.5C in my garage !! Voltmeter seems accurate, but my clock also jumps an hour when the bike starts, as mentioned elsewhere. Ran the red and black wires direct to the battery, and the orange to my light fuse, as my lights are on when the ignition is turned on....
But doesn't look too bad, for now. Velcro supplied with the unit is crappy.......
I'll do a proper installation when I remove the fairings to get at the stator (again)[:@][:@][:@]
Anyone know where I can buy a brand new stator ?? The reg/rec seems to have gone (again) as a result of the stator problem.I suspect the stator was dodgy when I bought it - didn't check the field coil resistance before fitting, now 3,5 ohms, instead of 2.0-2.6 ohms as per the manual.Ahhhhhhhhh sh.....t !![:@][:@]

[IMG]local://upfiles/22903/49921BAA7DB643A382F35890ACD9624E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 05:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear that, I know that feeling but don't give up just because of that, it's an old bike, just get it fixed once and you'll forget about it.
I use this page to buy parts (accepts paypal):
http://www.mrcycles.com/fiche_sectio...&fveh=3021
Also for the reg you can contact these guys:
http://www.espel.com.ar/index.php?cont=contacto
I got mine for $70 USD (the big one) works like a charm.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23531/D62E4BB76ACB4CA5BC246679654027EA.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-08-2008, 11:26 AM

Ola' Daniel !
Unfortunately. I have now had 6 reg'recs and 2 stators in 4 years, so you can understand my frustration - the last stator and reg rec were fitted end December...!!![:@][:@]
Looks like I'll have to buy a brand new stator and get a replacement reg/rec under guarantee from England. Thanks for the details for parts, very useful, and cheaper for a stator than I thought.....
I'll also rip out and replace all the wiring between the stator and rectifier, and to the battery, just to be sure....

Hey Flogger , right now I feel like setting fire to the old bitch, but I guess I won't, I'm too fond of the old girl..........she's a bit like a wife, expensive to maintain, and a pain in the ar..e most times.....
but unlike a wife, she doesn't mind me "test riding" other models...he he

Old 03-10-2008, 08:54 AM

Shouldnt (technically) any voltage regulator as long as its a 12V system with a minumin of 11.5v and maximum of 13.2 work ? And of course it would have to mount properly.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 AM

Technically, Gill, I guess you'd be right...there are plenty of stories of guys fitting other reg/recs in an emergency, and they work fine, EXCEPT there are also some horror stories about burnt out CDI units, and all the bulbs, wiring etc, so I'd be hesitant to try it. If I could find cheaper parts, maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but at $140 every time for a reg/rec, and $250 + for a stator, it gets a bit much. The worst part is not being able to trust the bike, but at least now with the new voltage meter I'll be a bit more comfortable.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:13 AM

Is this a problem on the earlier CBR's or are they all affected by this problem right up to 96?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:26 AM

I've heard it's a common problem through all the years, but older, higher mileage bikes seem to be most at risk. Our temperatures here are also ridiculous at times, and I may try fitting the reg rec in a place where it gets more airflow.....I'll keep you posted.
Can anyone out there tell me what will happen if the resistance in my field coil goes up to 3,5 ohms, instead of the standard 2.6 ohm maximum, as per the manual ? I've been told that if you fry the reg/rec, then you run the risk of doing burn damage to the field coil, DROPPING the resistance down to 1 Ohm. This doesn't seem right, somehow....
Also, the probe spins inside the field coil, generating electrical current. I've replaced everything else, surely it can't be the probe ?...All it does is spin........Any advice would be welcome.

Old 03-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Shadow have you considered having the one you have now rewound (stator). I have a friend here who works at a local shop that rewinds electric motors of all types. He just done one for a friend of his on a blackbird and it was a h*ll of a lot cheaper than buying a new one or taking a chance on a used one
BTW
Trooper, You Need to Post in the Parachute Thread Running in the Off-Topic Section

Old 03-10-2008, 12:05 PM

Hi Gunny, yes, I tried to have the original stator rewound by a local shop, but they made a thorough c..k up of the job. Having rewound it 5 times, trying to get the resistance right, they forgot to coat the windings, and I ended up with spaghetti, when I spun the motor....They also wrecked the plug system, and shorted out the wiring. (and these were supposedly the best local guys.....)
I have heard of another man, supposedly retired who works the"old school" way, and isn't pressured by deadlines. I'll be trying to locate him in the next few days. It's the old story, trying to find someone you can trust to do it right, the first time.......Daniel_Arg gave me the name of an OEM supplier, (thanks Daniel)at $214 + postage. If all else fails, I'll have to "bite the bullet"
The problem is, when you remove the stator, and inspect it, you can't see anything wrong with it, but I'm told the increased resistance caused by burnt windings in the field coil will damage the reg/rec over time, which is what it does. Generally takes about 6-8 months, this time I think heat had something to do with the failure.

Old 03-27-2008, 11:28 AM

Herewith the update as promised. I've been using the unit now for two weeks, and I'm impressed:
*the voltmeter's accurate to within .1 volts
*the clock keeps good time, not losing hours like the other review (must have been Kawasaki vibration) he he
* The temp gauge is accurate but because of where I mounted it, it picks up the radiator heat when stationary. Not really a problem. As Timbuctwo says we know if it's cold or not...
*the black ice gauge/warning I can't test without shoving my bike in the deep freeze - Gill will have to answer that one.
*Start/stop watch works fine, but fiddling with it while riding would be really hazardous - it'd be OK for taking a measurement of time travelled, so you don't play with it on the move, which would be impossible anyway - the buttons are too small, especially with gloves on.
The poor charge warning goes off when you start the bike, but you soon get used to it.
The attachment system is POOR - two scrawny little velcro strips. Problem is, if you fit double-sided tape, you can't adjust the time etc without major hassles.Maybe if you build a plate for the unit, with a cutout to get to the adjusters on the back, it'd be better.
Wiring is simple, 3 skinny wires, red and black to battery, orange to something that works when ignition is on. I used the light fuse. Works fine. Better to take one side fairings off to run the wires, much neater.
Not waterproof at all, so some form of protection is needed when washing the bike. Maybe saran wrap ?
ALL IN ALL A VERY GOOD UNIT, WELL WORTH THE MONEY IMHO
Let's see what Daniel-Arg has to say

Quick Reply: Digital Voltmeter