CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Digital Voltmeter

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2008, 10:59 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Digital Voltmeter

This wasn't a problem with the charging system - battery's a bit old I suspect, and won't hold a charge. I ran the bike 450 miles on Thursday last week with no problem.....I'll have it tested with a hydrometer at the local battery shop today.......

Old 02-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm sorry guys. I have been studying this picture for an hour but still can't work out when the coffee comes out from.

Old 02-29-2008, 09:32 AM

Check this out Shadow. It's from a guy who had one of those voltage gauges and he did a little write up on them...Have you recieved yours yet?

http://www.vn750.com/Docs/clock.htm

And one from this, not so happy fellow.....

CaSportTouring.com and other merchants have been selling these for motorcycles for a while now.

some reviews have been good, others not so much. I put one on the 81 Kaw so I could see if the 2nd headlight would kill my battery. the temp and clock were added pluses.

First, It is not designed for outdoor use, in fact, cars would be the best home for it. In fact, if they had been designed for motorcycles like all of the online ads read, why would they have an 'inside' and 'outside' thermometer switch?

Anyways, I wrapped mine in plastic to shield it against anything, and to be safe: http://www.twtex.com/forums/attachme...7&d=1169392129

Performance:
CRAP. the voltmeter is off by a half volt in most cases, often reading low versus a real volt meter.

The temp gauge read between 61* (actual) and 110* while stopped. this was on both sensors, too.

The clock is the best part tho, it changes time every time you start or rev high. I set it last night. Today we left at 125 pm (when it was actually 12:30), and came back at 12:48 am on an hour and half ride.

Hmmm, time sure does fly when your having fun.

All in all, its somewhat worthless. To me its OK because it does give me somewhat of a reference to voltage to know that I am still charging and such.[/align]

Old 02-29-2008, 01:42 PM

Hi Gill, No, not here yet.Thanks for the write ups, good and bad - can't please all the people all the time, and what d'you expect for 22 bucks anyway ? Any instrument that has start buttons for the functions will be prone to water damage, so I may well fit mine in a plexiglass box that I'll make out of old visors......we'll see.Changes to clock times in the write up could have been from bike vibration or bad wiring - I'll cushion mine with some double sided tape - forget the velcro !!

The battery was tested today, and collapsed under load - dead cell - replaced it. Not a charging problem.

Flogger, the "coffee machine" is the red 96 copper's bike from Essex.........quite perky (for a percolater) or so I'm told....(I wonder where he hides the radio)he he

Old 02-29-2008, 03:29 PM

Your right, so for 22 bucks, and 8.00 shipping, I ordered one too. I cant be left out in the cold eh? One chap mentioned that he took some of the plastic you get with flowers and heat shrinked it over the gauge to keep moisture out. I might try that first as I dont have any old visors kicking around. Would Saran Wrap work....hehe or a Zip lock baggie and a few old magnets from the fridge might hold her in place! Should look good.....I'll send pics

Old 02-29-2008, 08:30 PM

Nice review, let's see what happens with our Honda's... kawa's vibrate too much

I'm not expecting A LOT from this little device, just that it'll show me if the bike's charging and how much, that's all. Don't care if it's a bit off, I'll just make a mental note (compare with a multimeter) of how much it is and that should do it... the clock and temp are just extras... oh, and the backlight, that's a good feature.

Old 03-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Well just got it this morning so here's the first test I did with my scooter (sorry had no time to go to the garage where the CBR is), and the reading was actually pretty accurate compared to a digital multimeter.
Only thing that I find annoying is that the low voltage alarm beeps every time you start the bike. Other than that, it turned out to be way above my expectations, looks a lot better than the pics and the overall finish looks very good.

[IMG]local://upfiles/23531/5E739FEB42FC4E73B69D69527A342A01.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-07-2008, 12:41 PM

Glad to hear you have found it useful Daniel_ARG.

Hey Shadow, has your toy arrived yet? And how is the CBR and it's battery?

Old 03-07-2008, 07:54 PM

Let's put it this way.......
wanted: one brand new stator to fit 1990 CBR1000F + reg/rectifier.[:@][:@][:@][:@]
I'm sick of it, and will probably sell the thing once it's fixed.
Yes, the toy arrived, will fit it this weekend, so it can tell me my battery isn't charging.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 AM

Shadow, sorry to hear you are having problems again

You must be really p"sed off mate. Do you use a battery charger? I do and works just fine.

Don't sell that beauty!

Quick Reply: Digital Voltmeter