CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Dead Speedo/Odemeter

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dead Speedo/Odemeter

Well, a few months ago my speedo needle started to bounce around a little instead of staying steady. Then it started reading WAY low as if it had a clutch that was slipping (hope that makes sense). Now, it doesn't work at all, along with the odometer/trip meter. I know it's cable driven, I have no idea what to take a look at though. Down on the sprocket cover, up behind the gauges, or somewhere in between?

Also, if i have to get behind the gauges, can someone suggest a way to get out a screw that is stripped(nut end, not the head)?
If you take a look at this link:
http://www.bikebandit.com/partsbandi..._id~195908.asp
I cannot remove the screw labeled 34. It just spins!

Old 11-23-2006, 07:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts
Default RE: Dead Speedo/Odemeter

I'd start at the bottom end. There's a single screw that holds the lower end of the cable into the Drive Sprocket cover. After removing the cable, you should be able to tell if the lower end is turning while running the engine in gear on the center stand. Obviously be careful doing this. You don't want the bike taking off and leaving without you. If not, taking the Drive Sprocket cover off is pretty easy. Just remove the Side Stand, and Gearshift linkage as an assembly. You'll need to unplug the sidestand switch. 3 bolts hold the Drive Sprocket cover on. From there the problem should be self evident.

Old 11-23-2006, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

As for Screw 34, Honda uses Brass inserts that are glued into the plastic covers. Most likely, the screw got cross threaded the last time it was installed. Now the Brass insert is frozen onto the screw and broken loose from the plastic cover behind. You'll need to be able to get behind that cover with a pair of plyers or needle nose plyers to hold onto it while you remove the screw. It's a pain, good luck. You may be able to get it to come out along with the cover if all the other screws have been removed.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:56 PM
dad

Classic description of the plastic hex drive adapter that engages the front sprocket retaining bolt head. It starts to round out, skips a flat or two here and there causing the low reading and the needle to jump. Eventually it will quit altogether. Don't even look, just order one.

You need to remove the front sprocket cover to replace that. On re-assembly, spin the wheel to allow the flats to find themselves. Also a good time to pull the speedo cable out, flush the shield, and grease the cable before to re-install it. They can get pretty cruddy.

Old 11-23-2006, 10:45 PM
Default screen

Hi did you get the screen allright? Let me know, Fred

Old 11-23-2006, 11:41 PM
Default RE: screen

Thanks for the input everyone. Sounds like it shouldn't be too big of a deal to fix it.

Fred, I have not yet received the screen, will let you know. When I ran the confirmation number you gave me today on usps.com this is what it said:
" Label/Receipt Number: 0306 2400 0001 6429 9259

Your item was accepted at 8:33 AM on November 16, 2006 in RENO, NV 89511. Information, if available, is updated every evening. Please check again later."

Not sure what that means.....

Old 11-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Default RE: screen

Hi, that means they have it in the system as of that date, so somewhere there is a mule train or simiular with the package "speeding" its' way to you! It should be there by now or very soon, it was not that far from Reno to you.
Cheers, Fred

Old 11-24-2006, 04:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

What dad says is correct. I just did mine last year. It was doing exactly what you discribed. I only had about 20K miles on it when it went. The part is cheap and I should have ordered two at the the same time to cut down on shipping coast and toss the spare in the tool box.

The speedo drive is in the left case and is driven by the nut that holds the front sproket on. The part you need to replace goes between them.

Honda makes great products however that damn plastic part kills me.

Mine turned out to be cracked down the center.

Old 11-25-2006, 05:15 PM

Thanks for your help guys. I just took it a part and it was indeed that plastic piece that fits over the nut. Seems weird that they made it out of plastic....On a side note, anyone know where to get a 16 (-1) tooth sprocket for the front online???

Old 11-25-2006, 11:27 PM

I bought my Esjot sprockets here: http://www.spieglerusa.com/cfm/EsjotFront.cfm

Quick Reply: Dead Speedo/Odemeter