CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Is the customer always right?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 05:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is the customer always right?

Went out on a mission today to check out prices and availability on tyres for my '88 Honda CBR1000F-J as the last rideout finished 'em off!

The stock sizes are Front: 110/70/17 & Rear: 140/80/17 ... I think????

I was hoping to get a little extra tyre contact by fitting slightly wider tyres, which would also give me a greater range of modern tyres to choose from ... ideally I would have gone for: Front: 120/70/17 & Rear: 160/70/17. But I was slightly amazed by the reactions I got from the tyre shops!

No-one would even look at putting over sized tyres on my rims!!!!!!! One guy said: "If you want that doing then I don't want your business!" ... He then went on to give me a lecture about how the bike was originally optimised for the original tyre sizes and he wouldnt want me to have an accident due to his tyres not fitting properly! ( This was a tyre shop that I've used a number of times before! ). He also then gave me a lecture about how my insurance would be invalid if I used oversized tyres!

Should it be my choice, as the customer? OR, was the tyre shop correct to refuse to do the modification on grounds of safety and possible invalid insurance????

I can fully appreciate what the tyre shop said, but surely it should ultimately be my choice???????

Are we living in a world of .... "I can't because someone might sue my *** off!" ??????

?

Last edited by shakey; 08-18-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 05:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he could be held liable for doing such 'mods'. For as your insurance, wont affect it in the least.

he was right in the lecture. as it would have more ill affects than pos ones.

But in the end, yes it should be your choice.

Old 08-18-2010, 05:59 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One guy said: "If you want that doing then I don't want your business!"
What I would have said to him (late edit oops )
Good cuz ya don't know **** and guess what Einstein no point in purchasing from
the intellectually impaired anyway ....... thanks for the BS

Just buy a set and mount them yourself and balance with DynaBeads
160 is the max for that rim..... it is a free country ...... never mind the BUMpkins

Last edited by Sprock; 08-18-2010 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by shakey
1. on grounds of safety and possible invalid insurance????

2.I can fully appreciate what the tyre shop said, but surely it should ultimately be my choice???????

3.Are we living in a world of .... "I can't because someone might sue my *** off!" ??????

?

1.The safety factor would surely depend on how you ride more than the tyre size. I'm not sure that an insurance company would be so desperate to get out of paying a claim that they'd check the size of your tyres, just the condition. However, if they did, I bet there'd be something in the small print about modifications...just not sure about that one.

2.**** yes, it should be your choice!

3.Yes, unfortunately we are...

If you want to fit those tyres Shakey just take the wheels off and remove the old tyres yourself (any way you like since they're trashed anyway) then take the rims to another bike shop and just tell them what tyres you want on. Chances are they aren't going to bat an eyelid unless you're going ridiculously oversize. Next time you could just ride in, or take the wheels in, and get the same fitted from then on.

Old 08-18-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 160 is only 1 size up because a 150 is acceptable on your rim size.

So I'd tell them to kiss my azz. It's not like you are asking for a 180 on it with a screwed up profile or something. You have to remember, though, that contact patch isn't just dependent tire width. If you pinch a fat tire on a skinny rim, you'll actually lose contact. But the difference you're talking about is negligible. Same height on the rear and 7mm higher on the front.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:52 AM

A bike tyre and rim is unlike a car. The rim size is designed for a certain width tyre, as the rim size PULLS the tyre into it's correct shape.

Fitting a wider tyre on, means that the rim pulls the tyre more than normal, and makes it a slightly more pointed shape, meaning it will roll it corners faster, but more importantly it is likely to REDUCE your contact patch, as the tyre is being pulled from the edges more. This is obviously the opposite affect for what you're after.

So in my opinion he was correct, and I respect all garages who are willing to turn unsafe work away, and turn their business away, and their money. For the sake of YOUR safety. Don't forget, they're running a business, they don't turn money away for the fun of it.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:39 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not in my experience - the bike is slower to lean, using a wider tyre..........although I accept your logic as sound..........

Old 08-19-2010, 02:09 PM

I can see the logic in what people are saying ... I think I'll go down the stock route ... but maybe use a 150 rear ... the dealer said he would be ok with fitting a 150 on the back!

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction lads!

Old 08-25-2010, 10:50 AM

its your right..and the customer is ALWAYS right..

Old 08-26-2010, 06:23 AM

But as a responsible rider, it is often wise to listen to the experts in the field. Many people myself included, don't have anywhere near the knowledge or experience of professional, and genuine tyre fitters. Tyre technology has been changing at rapid rates, and it's wise to often tot ake the advice of the experts in matters that we cannot fully understand.