CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Corbin seat/petcock hole fitment

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 04:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Corbin seat/petcock hole fitment

Has anyone fabricated something to make these pieces fit together somehow? Corbin website says to use the stock petcock hole ring but I sold that seat - it was cracked anyway which makes me think the guy who bought the Corbin tried to take it out and it broke.

Old 08-25-2006, 06:55 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Corbin seat/petcock hole fitment

On mine I didn't want to mess around with pulling the ones off my old seat so I purchased new parts (around $15) from a bike shop near me.

The Corbin seat was thicker and the posts bearly made it through the seat. There was no way the push nuts were going to work. Luckly the posts are hollow. I used some little screws that I had from when I pulled the storms off my windows. I put small washers on the screws and attached the parts that way. Also, Corbin drilled one of the holes off and I had to redrill about 1/8" to the right.

Old 08-25-2006, 07:02 PM

did you buy Numbers 6&7 in this fiche? http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/200_03...00&parent=5440

Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 PM

Yes. #6 is the part you see-On,Off, RES.
#7 is just a piece of rubber that fills the hole a little.

They make the seat look 100% better.

Old 08-25-2006, 10:27 PM

The main reasons I want to fill the gap is to stop the heat and fuel vapor that comes out - do you think these pieces do a good job of filling the gap with the Corbin?

Old 08-26-2006, 12:10 PM

It is hard to say if it helps with heat. I don’t think it fills the hole much, it does dress it up.
There is normal heat that comes out of the side body panels that is higher that most bikes. I think just a little more came out the petcock hole before I dressed the hole.

I still don't get the vapor thing. You should not smell anything. I would check the air filter first to see if it is OK and then pull the side panels to look around the carbs.
I would start it at that point and look. If you can smell it you should be able to see it, I would think.

I don' think it is a carb to head leak. The engine would draw in any fuel. Too high float level or sticky float needle it be.

Old 08-26-2006, 02:50 PM

It only smells around the petcock. I've took it apart and cleaned it up, the seals look fine and it still smells. How could a petcock have good seals, not leak any gas but give off vapors?

Old 08-26-2006, 06:00 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could it be the "trumpet" hose that leads away gasoline spill from the gas cap sink that is detoriated and leaks? In combination with bad sealing on gas cap it might come vapor from that area. I´m just guessing here!

Old 08-26-2006, 10:46 PM

Did you find out if it is a Califorina model?
That would change things.

EDIT ADD: the sticker is on top of the air box. you will need to raise the tank to see it.
The CA. models show a can up front.

Old 08-28-2006, 10:35 AM

I took the original parts 6 and 7 from my factory seat and installed them onto the Corbin. I managed to work them together although I was a little disappointed with the fit. My biggest complaint is that the petock does not come out flush to the seat as it did on the factory. You can see the unfinished edge on the inside at some angles. Any ideas how to build it our flush?

***EDIT picture probs fixed sorry***

Quick Reply: Corbin seat/petcock hole fitment