CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   compression (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/compression-22857/)

grwilson6 09-11-2006 11:17 PM

compression

well i was sittin on my couch watchin tv tonight an saw an ad for restore. its suppose to bring compression back up. has anybody tried this before? what else have you guys done to bring the compression back up on these old beasts? my 1 and 4 cylinders were about 15 less then my 2 and 3 cylinders which isnt too much ( i think ) but i would like to get them closer. well any help would be gratefull, thanks.

chesthing 09-11-2006 11:40 PM

RE: compression

I've thought about that too due to oil consumption, but am worried what it would do to the clutch.

old1000 09-11-2006 11:46 PM

could call with the clutch

Stray Cat 09-12-2006 01:21 AM

It's snake oil..... And even if it did work in a car engine, what is it going to do to the clutch and transmission in your bike? [:'(]
Have you done a valve adjust? Valves get tight and might not be closing all the way, hence leaking compression. If they are okay squirt a little oil in the combustion chamber and test again. If compression doesn't come up, then its your valve train (more then likely) and you could pull the head and have new seals and a valve job done. If compression does come up after the oil is squirted in, then it's more then likely rings, or at least they aren't seating correctlly in the bores.

grwilson6 09-12-2006 01:44 AM

hey thanks for the replys. guess i was hopin for some miracle cure but i think settin the valves is the next thing on my list.

Illushun 09-12-2006 03:05 AM

I would be very worried about putting anything like restore in the engine. Not only because of how the lack of additives in it would potentially affect the clutch but primarily how it would affect that oiler in the bottom of the CCT. If those "metal" particles in the restore product block that oil port, then the spring on the tensioner would be less likely to have that "springy" effect, thus not doing what it's suppose to do. I read about this somewhere. I may not be completely accurate about the oiler port but I am cofident of the affects this restore stuff can do. Also, It decreases the life of your oil filter. I know that sounds tedious, but if ya do a complete oil change with a quality filter and something like motul or amsoil regularly, you could be spending around $35 plus dollars for an oil change. And if ya change it like every 1500 miles, then you would end up spending like $120 in oil changes in one season. I have put 6500 miles on my bike since april and have done the 1500 mile oil change religously. At at $8.00 a quart for amsoil, it gets costly for a good maintenance regiment.

peterk 09-12-2006 09:29 AM

I got my bike looked at by the honda dealer in may, the compressions were 200 180 200 180 and the mechanic reckoned that was fine? the things i'm worried about was the 'suspect starter sprag clutch starting to wear' and the 'suspect poss. beginning cam chain & tens.' he says big bucks abt $600/700 each item, thats almost what i paid for the bike, dammmmmmm

chesthing 09-12-2006 11:37 AM

What's your opinion of time between changes? for example, if you put 1,500 miles in one year would you change it once or more often?