CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Combining clutch springs/plates

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 11:15 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Combining clutch springs/plates

My clutch slips a bit after full (or near full) throttle gear changes, even when not using the clutch, so I guess my friction plates are shot.
I was thinking of just getting a set of aftermarket 'OE' plates (so not uprated plates wich I can't afford atm).
But since a set of EBC heavy duty springs are so damn cheap, I was wondering if I could just combine the two ('OE' plates and HD springs) and get no trouble from them?
Or should I just stick with OE springs?

Old 05-18-2011, 12:55 PM

Well, it's all gonig to be apart anyway. You might as well put in new springs. They don't make good springs, in general, in the far east. The USA still makes the best springs IMO.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM

I recently replaced my entire clutch with Barnett parts, what a difference. I think someone had replaced the springs prior to me purchasing the bike because the lever pull didn't change. I believe the Barnett parts are all US made.
I would go with the HD springs.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:07 PM

I just replaced my clutch with a Honda racing clutch kit, but if you use EBC springs for oem clutch plates ,, just compare the spring pressure / spring height to the specs in oem to get them as close as possible .
Make sure you check the clutch master cylinder too as they tend to relax during the clutch rundown / wear out . A rebuild kit ,, or a new , re-built master cyl might be a good idea too ,, nothing like popping a master cyl seal with a new clutch installed .. no fun at all .

Old 05-30-2011, 04:01 AM

I can imagine that would not be the most desirable event after changing the clutch.
But in the first sentence you're saying I should use springs as close to stock specs as possible, so not a set of uprated springs?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:31 PM

Oh , uprated? O.K. maybe I missed that mention somewhere LoL!
Well , from my experiences , uprating the springs with oem clutch plates wont make anything much better ,,just more force and work on the master cyl , it helps a bit in more grab ,,less slip ,,but nothing more . OEM is made for stock spring pressure , more pressure more stress on the plates,,less pressure ,,more wear. A little more spring rate is always good , but you might as well go with Barnett , or in my case KG factory Honda racing clutch plates and run the uprated springs with them as they are made with Kevlar or close compact embedded material and designed for higher spring rates . I've had problems with cracked clutch plates running EBC uprated springs on oem plates .
But that was on a Kawasaki. Just remember this,, when you upgrade , the weakest link fails , so upgrading everything else involved is a good idea.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:52 PM

Ok, that's a very strong reason not to uprate the springs until I get uprated plates and discs too

Old 05-31-2011, 12:20 AM

There ya go stefan2m , go can't go wrong ,,doing it right , the 1st time .
I've seen people putting way too strong heavy duty springs on a motor not designed to handle the additional pressure ,, only to find they can't dis-engage the clutch , or the push rod , pivot button breaks under the pressure , use ONLY what will work safely on your bike . But also keep in mind ,, you get what you pay for ,, buy a cheap made , cheap priced part ,, you'll be doing this all over AGAIN , very soon . KG factory , Barnett , and EBC are well made ,, I really like Barnett Kevlar clutches . But they run a bit more on the price . I went with KG factory because I needed my bike back on the road a.s.a.p. , and waiting 10 - 12 days for it to get delivered wasn't in the cards . I've used KG factory in my racing / dirt bikes in the past and had very good results , and the bike shop only had the KG in stock . Still way better than oem in my opinion. And only 15-20 bucks more then the EBC kit. This I can tell ya ,, this KG clutch , doesn't slip . I haven't tested a full throttle shift on it,, don't think I have a need to ,, as I probably would find my legs flapping in the air , and me holding on for dear life onto the handle bars. LOL!! The mighty CBR1000f monster will let you know its AWAKE!
Good luck with the clutch swap / install ,, let us know how she tests out and what parts you decided to install .

Old 05-31-2011, 04:09 AM

Well, I'm a bit prejudiced against EBC... I'll rather spend the extra bucks for Barnett or KG.
I know that EBC in automotive applications, when pushed to their limits, their brake discs really suck and their pads aren't much better either; claiming some kind of racing pedigree and overall brake performance gains, in fact you're almost always better off with OE brake discs and pads in terms of performance, predictability of brake, resistance to brake fade and durability (I always use plain Brembo discs and Ferrodo DS2500 pads for my fast road going cars).
I've seen more than few examples of destroyed EBC discs and pads in person, and many more from photo's of people I trust, that I'd always strongly advise against buying their products.
But that's in the automotive brake department; they tend to be durable and delivering in motorcycle clutch applications?
So that's actually the only reason I'm leaning a bit to giving them a break (or a brake, so they'll might learn something LOL) and trying out their complete clutch kit.

For now as I want a quick fix, I bought a set of OE replacement friction plates from eBay for 40 dollars; I don't expect too much from them, other than to outperform my worn slipping stock plates.
It'll give me the room I'd like to explore my options

Old 05-31-2011, 01:33 PM

Dang , I'm impressed stefan . Yes, EBC had some bad times in the past with automotive , I agree , but not really anything in the way of motorcycle parts . I did have a problem with combining different brand plate & spring combo's with EBC, but since vesrah has made it more difficult to get anything for older bikes ,, I've had to use EBC sometimes , mostly in my dirt-bikes . But Ive never had anything EBC go bad on me . They are basically a OEM stand-in . If you get the KG or Barnett ,, good call .. it's a big difference from the stock OEM ,, you'll see . Keep us in the loop bro .

Quick Reply: Combining clutch springs/plates