Clunking noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 07:41 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking noise

Anyone help?

1990 FL. 20,000 miles.

Last few days have been getting a metallic clunking noise. When changing up a gear with the clutch, but at low revs, I get one clunk as I open the throttle in the higher gear. Can feel it through the footpegs too. Usually when changing up from first to second but I'm almost sure I've had it from second to third too. Oil is 4,000 miles old, level is a bit low but above minimum. I adjusted the chain tension last weekend and think it is OK, as is wheel alignment. Clutch fluid level is also a bit low but above minimum. Have also noticed very slight clutch slip when engine is cool and throttle is opened quickly. Could this be related?

Time to renew the clutch? As I said only 20,000 miles but last 8,000 mostly London commuting with lots of clutch work.

Or something more sinister?

Thanks.

Old 03-15-2007, 08:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Clunking noise

Hiya Hmm. Do you get a rumbling noise after the clunk, and when you throttle hard on and off?

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 03-15-2007, 10:09 PM

renew the clutch fluid asap, usually sorts these probs.

Old 03-15-2007, 10:32 PM
hmm

Hi collector,

Not noticed a rumbling noise, but I'll listen harder.... You're keeping me in suspense - what might it mean if I do get the rumble after the clunk (apart from maybe I'm being followed by Thomas the Tank Engine) ?

Old 03-16-2007, 12:56 PM

I am watching this with interest as mine has this problem too. Also F-L but with 33k. Hmm, if you are rolling with no throttle and just take the slack and add a little, is that the clunk you are talking about? My clutch position to bite is also way to high so I think its time to renew the clutch plates.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:17 AM

Lets just concentrate on the clutch for now. Try renewing the clutch fluid first, as recommended by cbroar, and see how that goes. As for the fact that your not getting a rumble is a good sign (you don't want to go there either).

Just out of curiousity, also try, when the engine is hot, changing gear (without using the clutch) using the revs only and see what results you get. Let me know how you get on.

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 03-17-2007, 09:26 AM

i have this, recently taking rear wheel out to replace tyre,i thinks its because i forgot to mark the sprocket carrier/wheel so now the carrier lugs are sitting in different position in the cush rubbers.?
have to strip it out today to have a look tho.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:51 PM
hmm

I changed the oil on my bike today. I didn't expect that to make any difference - and it didn't. Then I looked at the chain. The rollers looked quite shiny - ie dry - despite presence of a Scottoiler. Never thought much of Scottoilers, just end up with a filthy rear wheel. So I spray-lubed the chain. Took her for a short ride, I'm sure I couldn't feel the clunk so much. I rode round to my local bike shop to get a silencer gasket because the left Motad Nexxus pipe was quite wobbly at the collector box/gasket. When I was putting it all back together, I noticed how close the chain is to that pipe. Could the chain have been slapping against the pipe when the slack is taken up on opening the throttle? Dunno, and there doesn't seem to be any sign of scratches on the pipe, but it was mighty close. Now I've got the pipe so that it is nice and rigid at the collector box and clear of the chain - lovely - but I can't get the blimmin 'under cover' shield thing to fit because the pipe is now too close to the rear footpeg....

The bloke at the bike shop said there might be some play, due to wear in the grooves or something, in the clutch basket. I'll have a look at that soon.

Collector: As for changing gear without clutch, I do that all the time without problem, but not usually from first to second. I'll try it.

Ghost1Rider: I know what you mean. If you put the bike on the centre stand and change gear with very few revs the chain does slap about a bit. And my clutch occasionally slips when opening her up when cold. But I'm not riding any differently and I never used to notice this clunk.

What I did notice, now I come to think of it, is that not long before the clunking started, I started to get a slightly less smooth engagement of first gear when letting the clutch out. The engagement is progressive but just at the last bit of lever travel the bike seems to give a little jump, which it never used to.

Difficult to explain these things in writing innit?

Old 03-18-2007, 06:22 AM

First off, See if you can stall the bike in 1st almost straight away, like some of do at the lights (cring, how embarrassing) but it happens.

Check the slack on the chain 16 - 20mm is what is required, this is measured from the bottom center of the swingarm.

Then look at the drive sprocket, check for wear around the teeth, . To much wear could give your chain that slapping feeling. What your looking for is the start of half moon shaped teeth when the chain is travelling along the sprocket, and this is caused by the chain slapping around on acceleration and not being taught enough.

A combination of the above mentioned, even slight wear or out of adjustment could give that clunk that you feel between your footpegs. and also, this not only putting strain on the drive sprocket, but also the main gear shaft, which is why I asked if you were getting a rumble when you use your throttle.

Let me know how you get on..

Old 03-18-2007, 09:46 AM

aggree with collector,i had a small section of "tight" chain(only a couple of links) and a worn drive sprocket on my triumph(drive sprocket retaining nut was also loose,didnt help) and it resulted in a horrible clanking at the footpeg area.
just running the chain slightly looser than normal made it less,new chain n sprockets kit sorted it.

Quick Reply: Clunking noise