CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

charging fault?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 11:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: charging fault?

ORIGINAL: jb

ok after talking to a honda parts guru, he says there is the stator and a genertor as main parts of the alternator, so... what the hell does the generator do? maybe the generator is faulty and not the stator, im confused now, orthough i still beleave after testing the stator thats its faulty and only £70 vr generator at £130 ek[:@]
Item #1 is the stator and includes the wirings that you have measured to be faulty. Unit #2 is the rotor; it is just a mechanical piece.

Old 07-07-2007, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

I think the major parts of the alternator are usually the stator and rotor, but the 1000f alternator pic from Ron Ayres doesn't look like the alternators I've seen.
Yeah, honda ran out of room when designing the bike, so instead of an alternator setup on the left side of the crankshaft (most common), they put behind the cylinder block on the left side and drive if with a chain of the crankshaft.

Old 07-07-2007, 01:46 PM
jb

ok, today i removed the rear of the alternator containing the stator/generator windings, to prove that the generator is also a winding, then there is the rotor, honda like using a lot of locktight, also as i have found out,i just about broke my 5mm hex tbar and my arms trying to undo the 3 bolts holding the stator on

Old 07-07-2007, 02:20 PM
jb

here is a pic of the 3 stator winding wires (yellow) and the field windings (below), which i have done a resistance test on and both are in range, however i dont know how to test field windings (generator windings?)

Old 07-07-2007, 04:01 PM

I don't follow you, you measured the voltage over the threestator winding pairs at 5000 rpmand found there was a hughe voltage unbalance. Isn't it just to replace the stator unit?

Old 07-07-2007, 09:31 PM

Couldn't you do a resistance test to see if the insulation on the windings is starting to break down? Look at page 14-8 of the service manual.

Old 07-08-2007, 05:22 AM
jb

which service manual? i only have a haynes which isnt very good at all, i think you mean load test but it dont have the equipment to do it with,if you could give me information that would help, i also had a quote from another honda shop saying the stator end was £430 pounds, i would sell the bike rather than spend that sort of money! even though i love the big lump

Old 07-08-2007, 06:11 AM

ORIGINAL: jb

which service manual? i only have a haynes which isnt very good at all, i think you mean load test but it dont have the equipment to do it with,if you could give me information that would help, i also had a quote from another honda shop saying the stator end was £430 pounds, i would sell the bike rather than spend that sort of money! even though i love the big lump
Honda service manual: https://cbrforum.com/m_123412/tm.htm (Thanks Trips)

As for the generator, I would contact David Silver Spares http://www.davidsilverspares.co.uk/c...i/Catalogue.pl, or because of the weak US dollar at the moment, someplace from the colonies might be worth a shot. I just did a quick check on ronayers.com as they sell the generator for US $224 new and it ends up being around 111.548 GBP. It only looks like they ship to the US and Canada, but it still might be worth a call.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:23 AM

Old 07-08-2007, 06:52 AM
jb

cool thx, yes i have already checked both sites, davesilver spares is very cheap, have bought parts off them before, as for buying a gen from the state, im sure the weight from shipping would be pricey, and davesilver can order me a stator for £70 p.s the service manual download doesnt work any more chers anyways

Quick Reply: charging fault?