CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Chain and Sprockets - US - Need source

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chain and Sprockets - US - Need source

Greetings,
Well its been a year since buying the 91 and its time for some more maintanance. 1st up, chain and sprokets, followed by fork seals, then clutch.

I have done a search and came up with some links to online stores, but was unsure of what I should be looking for specifically.

I want a stock replacement for front and rear sprokets and chain. From what I learned today its should be 17/43 teeth and 530/114 chain, correct?

Where do you recommend I go to buy a kit? Or should I buy seperately to save money? I am a cheap SOB

Utah, USA location

Thanks,
Dave

Old 06-28-2008, 06:03 PM
Default RE: Chain and Sprockets - US - Need source

here's one...

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/c/1634...00f-87-96.html

Old 06-28-2008, 06:38 PM

Thanks, ordering now.

What's the best way to align the chain (without spending another $25 for the tool on their site).
Thanks

Old 06-28-2008, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Lets assume (yea I know) for the moment that your wheel is currently straight and properly aligned. If, before you take the rear wheel off, you loosen the chain adjuster nuts by the same amount. For instance maybe 4 or 6 complete turns. I put a mark on the nut with a sharpie pen so I'm sure of how many turns I do on it. Then lock it down. If you do this on both sides, then the rear axle should have been moved forward evenly and maintaining the alignment. It should also be enough to give you slack for when the new chain is installed (figuring that the adjusters have been tightened up over a period of time due to chain wear) to be able to put it on and rivet it. Then you can adjust the adjusters evenly to get the proper slack in the chain after it's installed.

I hope I made this clear enough.

Old 06-28-2008, 10:26 PM

Yeah - i understand... i am not convinced that it is straight now, the wear pattern seems to be a little right of center (looking from back to front) - maybe half a centimeter off center.

I am sure the wheel bearings are original, maybe I should change those too.

If it is off center, and I take the wheel off to change the bearings, what do you recommend to keep the wheel straight?

Thanks

Old 06-29-2008, 12:05 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

When you remove the rear wheel, you remove the rear axle - this doesn't affect the settings on your adjusters. If you have to move the adjusters, make the same number of turns on each. You can also make a mark on the floor, under the bike, at right angles to the frame, and measure the distance from the axle on either side to the line on either side. This should tell you if the wheel's correctly aligned with the frame.......

Old 06-29-2008, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I have used the string method described in item #5 in this article on Sport Rider.com. Its not difficult to do. Just make sure you use a string thats easily visible. If you have some florescent monofiliment fishing line, I think that would work great. As for the bearings, yes I would go ahead and replace them. Its easy to do and inexpensive. You do not have to go to Honda to get the bearings. They are relatively common bearing sizes. You can get them on ebay for usually a few dollars each if your local bearing supply shop doesnt have any.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:41 AM

When you guys check your free-play in the chain (slack) is should measure about 3/4" to 1" of travel right? And bike is at rest with driver on or off the bike? Centerstand or no centerstand? My observation is that it should be at the proper adjustment with the swing-arm in the middle of its travel. If its on the centerstand the swing-arm would be in the wrong position. Anyone clear this up for me