CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   chain and sprocket almost done (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/chain-sprocket-almost-done-152946/)

rdsii64 11-06-2014 05:06 AM

chain and sprocket almost done

Today me and my son in law tore into my bike to knock out replacing the chain and sprockets.
The chain I used was a RK sport 530 called for in the manual. I wanted the D.I.D chain but I couldn't afford it. Anyway, it took us longer than it should because we misread the instructions to get the rear calipers off so we could remove the rear wheel. When we figured out what were doing wrong, it went easy peazy. So now I have my fairings back on, the sprockets on, the chain ran and my garage cleaned up. In the morning I just need to cut the links wrap her up and go ride.

So what did I learn today? when Its time to do brake pads, I am VERY FAMILIAR with the back end of my motorcycle so it won't be bad at all. I learned getting the front sprocket cover back on takes some finesse and a steady hand. I ended up hand threading the bolts and then tightening them down half turn at a time to apply even pressure to the clutch rod that goes across the front of the engine. She is all buttoned up now just waiting for me to finish the chain and align the rear wheel.

wheelnut 11-07-2014 03:25 AM

glad you have got your work done, its amazing how much you learn, at least you now know how to get the rear calliper off for new pads, and at least you don't have to take the bake wheel out to do it

rdsii64 11-09-2014 02:18 PM

minor setback

When we set out to button up the chain, everything started out according to plain. the first rivet in the master link went with out a hitch. We had plenty of flow through(not sure if that is the proper term. The second rivet no such luck. We then discovered that we BENT the rivet tool. Yes you heard that right, we bent the rivet tool. The guy at the parts counter at Temecula Motorsports is trying to get it warranted for me so I don't have to buy another $85.00 tool. They scored two now master links for me though.(an extra just in case) I can't completely rule out user error since this is my first go at this. Either way my local shop is trying to help me out. I'll report my luck. So it looks like I can't ride until Thursday.

wheelnut 11-10-2014 04:44 AM

I don't think your alone on that one, I have bent a rivet tool before, hope you get it sorted and back on the road for thursday

Sprock 11-11-2014 07:19 PM

Oh hell yeah me too :) - trick is keeping the outer thread pretty much covering 7/8
of the inner pin using the outer thread only to apply the force to widen the rivet head
otherwise - well you know the rest.

BTW inner pins are easy enough to find online

rdsii64 11-12-2014 07:51 PM

Well, I have good news. Temecula motorsports warrented my chain tool. Today I picked up the brand new one. My bike was down longer than I wanted it to but its better than having to spend 85 dollars twice. So a little better attention to the little things and I will be back on the road in a day or two.