CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000F rider gone mad?

Old 01-24-2006, 05:55 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR1000F rider gone mad?

Just turned 50 a week ago, and I've been promising myself a trip over to the states for a long time, and thought it would make a good 50th birthday present.

My best mate is 50 in March, and is up for the trip too.

I found a company called "Ride America" and they do a package deal, the hotels, riding gear, panniers, oh and of course.......a Harley!

We plan to come over in late May, and do the 4 night trip starting from Las Vegas, taking in the Grand Canyon.

The whole thing including flights and spending money will probably cost around $3,000.

Is it worth it?

And has anyone else done something like this before?

[IMG]local://upfiles/3018/AB9DF8107F0E4AAFA61277AFA631ED7A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-24-2006, 09:54 AM
jim
Default Sounds Expensive

Hi Mitch, you could not pick a more picturesque place to go for a ride, Nevada is very hot and the roads are long so make sure you fill up before you explore and wear sun block.
I love the states the roads around the hills in California are the best twisty’s I have ever seen and the Grand Canyon is simply grand but in the true meaning of the word.

Yes you do get allot of Holiday for £3k but it is still allot of money for 4 days (£750 A DAY), I noticed this company that also hire from Las Vegas www.rental-motorcycle.com and they hire out Hondas as well as Harleys but if your going to the States you should ride an American machine I guess, but it would be a gutter not to try out those twisty roads in the Californian hills.
Anyway you can do it allot cheaper by sorting out your own flights, I think BA are selling flights to PHX for £500 return.

The Motels are many and all over the desert and go for around $35/£20, Although the bikes for hire have $1000 deposit you should get that back (so long as the machine dose not get binned) and the insurance shouldn’t cost to much, I reckon you could do 7 nights and days riding around for £1500/£1800 plus whatever you spend on top, and from looking at the prices on line it could be done cheaper still.

Anyway I think you should go and do it, best wishes and have a nice Holiday ! maybe post some photos on your return.

Old 01-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Default RE: Sounds Expensive

Hi Jim, thanks for the input, I've just sent an enquiry to the rental website you pasted. The prices seem to be pretty reasonable, and include insurance unlike Ride America's prices.

I've also found some flights for around £440, should be plenty of hotels to choose from (I hope)

I was budgetting for around £1500, I just doubled the price for Dollars

Cheers,

Mitch.

Old 01-24-2006, 02:11 PM
jim
Default Oh dollars

Hi Mitch, sorry mate I miss read what you had typed it all makes perfect sense now. I was thinking its a pity you cant take the CBR out there because it would be ideal for the twisty and straight bits and its nice and comfy.

However many happy returns and all the best for the future.

K Regards

Jim

Old 01-24-2006, 03:32 PM
Default RE: Oh dollars

In my opinion, this trip has to be on American Metal, the CBR will be touring Scotland in July.

It's an "Easy Rider" thing I suppose, and the star was Peter Fonda, not Honda

I will keep you posted,

Mitch.

Old 01-25-2006, 03:51 AM
Default RE: Oh dollars

At the risk of sounding biased (whch, of course, I am), it would be hard to go to any quadrant of the US that doesn't have great scenery. That said, the Grand Canyon is truly spectacxular - as is Yellowstone Park and that area. California has some great roads for almost any kind of riding as does Oregon and Washington State.
If you are going to take a Harley out into the desert or any other isolated area, you might want to rent a cell phone that works over hear - and one that does both analog and digital as some areas do not yet have digirtal. Harley may be an American name, but not all their parts are made hear and many of the Hondas are manufactured right here in the US. If you're looking for inexpensive motels, try Motel 6. Almost every area has one. You can get a list of ones online for the areas where you will be.
Terry

Old 01-27-2006, 02:44 AM
Default RE: CBR1000F rider gone mad?

The trip sounds great, but I personally prefer the Northeast or Northwest. But , welcome the good old USA. I do have a question, though. Where did you get that windshield? It looks a lot taller than stock and aftermarket? I have been trying to find a taller windshield with no luck. Any ways, just remember to stay on the right, and look out for intersections. They are very bad around here.
Good luck on planning the trip, and have lots of fun

Art

Old 01-27-2006, 06:02 AM

Hi Art, the screen is a Powerbronze "flip up" type, and does exactly that, unlike other flip screens that direct the wind directly into your face.

http://www.powerbronze.com.au/access.htm#screens

Mitch.

Old 01-27-2006, 08:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Mitch

Hi Art, the screen is a Powerbronze "flip up" type, and does exactly that, unlike other flip screens that direct the wind directly into your face.

http://www.powerbronze.com.au/access.htm#screens

Mitch.
Do you get any extra buffeting at triple digit speeds with that screen?

Old 01-27-2006, 09:23 AM

How dare you suggest that I would ride in triple figures in such quite English leafy lanes

No there's no extra buffeting,and it does make high speed cruising very easy.