CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2013, 02:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion

Hi Folks

I'm in the middle of some work on my f-j, the offside can is quite badly corroded around where it connects to the V in the downpipes.

I've done a temporary repair to stop it blowing, but when you waggle the can it clearly isn't too well attached, I think if I remove the can it will come off in two pieces.

Can't afford a new pair of cans and I want to make a bit of a change, I've seen this link pipe on Ebay but the seller says that you need a blanking plug for the other side but I can't find any on Ebay, anyone done this. I'm thinking of buying a link pipe, then look for a secondhand can to stick on it, any thoughts please.

VIPER CONNECTING PIPE HONDA CBR1000 FH FX 1987-99 | eBay

Cheers, Steve

Old 12-16-2013, 02:28 PM

Few piccies of the said exhaust, not pretty but it was a cheap repair that I want to make a better job of, cheaply by fitting one can using the current down pipes, (headers).

Cheers, Steve

Attached Thumbnails CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-101_0371.jpg   CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-100_1170.jpg   CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-100_1171.jpg   CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-100_1175.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Wow! That's rusty. I'm guessing due to the roads being salted in winter?

It's a pity you're not 'Downunder' Steve, there's a couple of pristine cans on Ebay in Adelaide for $49 AUD each.

Good luck with the repair/replacement.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-16-2013, 04:23 PM

Thanks SB, I'm taking the back wheel out and will be giving it a good clean up under there. It will never be a minter but should look a bit better when finished. I've taken off all the plastics, I'm replacing the top fairing with one I bought off ebay for it's indicators, the top was damaged so I've cut it down, I've replaced the clip-ons with higher bars. It needs a new top yolk as it's been drilled before, I've got another one on the way that I got off ebay.

Not to everyone's taste, but she will be returnable to standard, I'm cutting nothing off the frame or fittings. I can't afford another bike for a couple of years so may as make this one a bit more comfortable.

I've got the winter to sort her out, as long as she is back on the road for March that should be OK.

Cheers, Steve

Attached Thumbnails CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-101_0342.jpg   CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-101_0307.jpg   CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion-101_0358.jpg  
Old 12-16-2013, 04:37 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Hi Steve,
this is a subject dear to Sprock's heart. Send him a PM. I know he went through similar scenario a year or more back and tried all sorts of configurations but in the end went back to twin cans as he didn't like the look of a single. I have to agree with him, I don't either.

Your exhaust is in a slightly worse state than mine, though it's not far behind. It's a bummer when they get to that state but considering the age of these old girls, 20 years + isn't bad for an exhaust system exposed to all the crap that a British winter can throw at it. As Seb said, it has much to do with the salt. I'd rather have the salt than not be able to ride.

Sandy bike spares are worth a call for your blank plug. They make a really good set of header pipes for the 1Kf. I'm about to buy my second set from them some time after Christmas and then fit the new cans I picked up recently on ebay.
The first set, unfortunately, got stolen along with the rest of the bike. The build quality is excellent though and they have improved the flow at the split end which really made a difference to throttle response I think. Worth the £200 they're asking. It's either the Sandy pipes, Delkevic or Motad. They're about the only makes available for the 1Kf these days.

You could always take the headers off and see if you can get someone to repair them properly. not out of the question. I'm sure they'll even be able to weld a blank on for you.

Good luck. Hope the cold winds up there haven't stopped you getting out on the road completely.

H

Old 12-16-2013, 04:57 PM

Thanks H, I'll send him a PM.

Cheers, Steve

Old 12-16-2013, 07:20 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you called good Sir

Yeah Henry is right, memory of an elephant that Lad ,
I sure have been down that road & you , per your PM are on the right track.

Sandys do have link pipes as do Delkevic UK ! See if you can get one or other of them
to sell you a single right side link pipe.

Or

I used this UK kit which a seller has here in the US

Then grab any half decent high flow silencer on EBAY Uk or Gumtree or whatever

Actually here's a daycent matching Viper on Ebay atm , I liked the vipers , great sound
and the elbowed dbkillers for them are good - gets me past our MOT aka "BMV Inspection".

For a plug I found a Guy on Ebay selling a 2 1/8" alum plug and I just wrapped
it in exhaust wrap and clamped her in the open side - job was oxo.

I actually have a spare plug sitting out in the garage - yours of you want it.

Given the rainy nature of the UK climate I would clean and spray the collector
box with high temp paint to further preserve it - we have one over here that
has a bake on porcelain component to it which sets up as an outer skin and
really helps keep the collector box from rotting out as is common in very
wet and salty road environments.

Keep me in the loop always here to help.

As for the Bar Rising ( no not Pubs ) and what system you pick - hey - each to their own.

Two of my Canes have the traditional individual riser types of bars my 87
I left stock pretty much through and through except for a set of 90 carbs
on it ( the best version imo).

Old 12-17-2013, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the quick reply Sprock, much appreciated. I've spoken to Sandy Spares off Ebay and he'll will make me a blanking plug and sell one link pipe for £50, I'll probably sort out a can from a breaker, or Sandy's will supply a can as well for £140. All down to money, it will have to wait until after Christmas, this month's salary is spoken for.

Always get great advice off this forum, many thank guys.

Cheers, Steve

Last edited by steve.zodiac; 12-17-2013 at 12:28 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know that feeling - expensive times indeed.

Old 12-18-2013, 05:30 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would this be of any use Steve?

HONDA CBR1000F SILENCER HM MM5 E1 | eBay

Quick Reply: CBR1000f-j Single sided exhaust conversion