CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR traded for Blackbird

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2006, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR traded for Blackbird

The CBR was traded today to a Blackbird -97. I've been very happy with the CBR, but when I got the chance to get a Blackbird in mint condition for a very reasonable price, it was not much to think about. It hurts some since I have loved this tremendous bike. [] The guy buying the old CBR was very impressed how strong and well it runned. Since I know I will stay with this type of bike for commuting and touring, the Blackbird is the perfect logical choice for me. It was more a question to lay the hands on a like new bike for little money than any other reasons. OK, its not a secret that the Backbird runs increadibly well and smooth, I cant lie about that. Thanks a lot to you all great fellows, maybe we meet again in the Blackbird forum

Old 08-12-2006, 01:59 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: CBR traded for Blackbird

How about the next track day?
Keep us posted on how the 1100XX does.

Did you tell the new 1000F owner about the forum?

Old 08-12-2006, 02:25 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: TimBucTwo

How about the next track day?
Keep us posted on how the 1100XX does.

Did you tell the new 1000F owner about the forum?
[/quo

I traded the bike at a local company, so I didn't told him about this great forum. I might skip the next track day on August 20. I need to get customed to the new bike first and will not get it until next friday, it has to go thrue MOT next week first. I would be surpriced if the Blackbird handles significantly better on track, it feels like a new bike and is better balanced and has superior breaks but thats about it. Of course it has more power to (165 hp) but that is not something one really miss on the old CBR. I believe that they have the same rear suspension but am not sure. It had some yoshi gismo to fix a flat spot below 5000 rpm, but I know almost nothing about this model yet. Sure i will keep you posted abut coming experiences, that will be on the https://cbrforum.com/forumid_19/tt.htm since I guess I'm banned from this forum now [&o] I have looked into the blackbird forum and can see that there is less total activites there compared to a large single thread in this forum. I hope its a good sign for the bike but am not to sure about that.

Old 08-12-2006, 02:47 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I think that the lack of activity is also due to the less years of production and the fact that many CBR100F owners did not want to upgrade. There are mostlikely less units out there.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:04 PM

I would have done the same, but I would paint over the boring black and made it look like my 1990's red, white, and blue. Anyway, except for the bigger motor and aluminum frame, it's not much different. The 97 is carbed and has the linked brakes. And I heard that the linked brakes make the rear step out when racing. But can't the "link" be disconnected so you have three piston front brakes and separate rear brakes?

Old 08-12-2006, 03:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

000, COOL, a 'bird !!!!!!!!!! I passed up a 97, w/ 7k, for 5k, just before I scored my 1000f. I think theres one in my future too( I hope)
Congrats, on a great find, have FUUUUN !!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd hate to think we'd loose ya... you are a valuble contributor and allround great m8 !!!!!!!!. Please, continue on here!!!!!!!!
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-12-2006, 04:34 PM

ORIGINAL: rippn

000, COOL, a 'bird !!!!!!!!!! I passed up a 97, w/ 7k, for 5k, just before I scored my 1000f. I think theres one in my future too( I hope)
Congrats, on a great find, have FUUUUN !!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd hate to think we'd loose ya... you are a valuble contributor and allround great m8 !!!!!!!!. Please, continue on here!!!!!!!!
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Thanks for those friendly words I'll be glad to stay in this superb forum with all great people if rules allow. Perhaps some will walk the same road, so there could be a general interest to keep you updated. If I start directly - the first impression, except for the great Honda Quality feeling, was the silk lean engine (double balance axes). Many of you have Hurricanes with lower milage or well taken care of, and might already have experienced this. The´Blackbird felt as smooth as the ZX14R, lucky I got a Honda instead and saved a hughe amount of money. My CBR gearbox worked perfectly fine, but was clunky when changin gear at high rpm. The Blackbird gearbox was much smother. Keep in mind that my old CBR has runned 107 000 km's, others might work different. The general feeling of the chassie was very good and super comfy, as on the old CBR, but the Blackbird felt slighty more agile. The engine pulled much harder and it should with about 140 rwhp and 165 on the crank. When pushing the bike hard in a high speed corner (200+ km) the front got to light and was probably also in air a few cm's. This is fine on straights but an issue to look up for in corners to avoid an early retirement [X(]. The old CBR is far better balanced regarding power to weight in corners, and could be driven like a stunged pig without loosing the front, which is great. The new bike is boring dark grey instead of sporty black as my old one, one cant get it all I'm afraid. The Blackbird was dressed with new Metzeler Roadtech Z6, as mine, which I learned to appreciate a lot after som initial fuzz. There was an alarm and remote starter on the bike which is cool.Thats about all I know for the moment.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:23 PM

This is the forum you need to visit - good luck on your new bike.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?

Old 08-12-2006, 07:05 PM

Ohhh, thats one of my two dream bikes, the other one is FJR1300.
We will miss your professional contributions to this forum.
Good luck with your new bike.

Old 08-12-2006, 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: chesthing

This is the forum you need to visit - good luck on your new bike.

http://www.cbr1100xx.org/forums/index.php?

Thanks for the tip Chesting !

Here are som pictures of the exixting and the new bike. The old one looks damn good, I not happy to leave it...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/D2B067DE8D1D4C549E99D2DF12D01AED.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4562/2147683B452347639C11CD07526FF4F7.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: CBR traded for Blackbird