CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   CBR 1000F rattling sound (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/cbr-1000f-rattling-sound-156552/)

MaikTheBike 09-06-2017 10:20 AM

CBR 1000F rattling sound

Hi,
I'm maik from germany and I have a problem with my CBR 1000F. Does anyone have an idea where the rattling-noise might come from ?
The video was taken directly after the coldstart. When the motor is warm the noise is still there (but not as loud).

When I first realized the noise there was a rattling sound until 3000 rpm. Mainly when I turned the throttle.
Now I can hear the rattling until 3500 rpm. At 4000 and above theres no rattling anymore.

The mileage of the motor is only 23 000 km. I thought that the CCT was broken and replaced it today. But theres no difference hearable. It stil rattles.
Maybe it takes some time to fill the oil-chamber of the CCT ?

And can somebody tell my why so many CCT don't work anymore and is there a solution (except replacing it).

Maybe someone can help me. What do you think ?

Thanks,
Maik :icon_pala::icon_pala:

Hawkwind2016 09-06-2017 03:37 PM

I think maybe it's the oil pump chain tensioner or the alternator chain tensioner.

Would appear to be coming from the sump area, so I would suspect the oil pump chain.

tentacleslap 09-06-2017 05:31 PM

+1 for alternator chain or oil pump chain rattle. Could check the valve clearances to be sure but it seems like this is a common problem for Honda's of this era. I've got a hurricane and a goldwing - both make this noise when cold, both get quieter when warm. For what it's worth, I've been trying to gather info on this same problem and it seems like it doesn't cause a lot of serious problems so I wouldn't be in a rush to tear it down if she runs well otherwise. Just my 2c

tentacleslap 09-06-2017 05:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Tough to tell how severe the rattle is from here, but the oil pump can be accessed while the engine is in the frame, and without having to dismantle the engine. You would need to drain the oil, drop the oil pan, remove the passages to access the pump, then remove the driven sprocket for the oil pump. If the teeth are worn, it would be an indication that the chain is slack or excessively worn. It's a weak little chain too

The alternator chain can only be accessed by taking the whole thing apart (ask me how I know) and it does rely on a tensioner which is always a potential failure mode. This is a very beefy chain, a couple links wider than the cam chain. I've got mine mostly apart already so this is what you'd see with the pan off and pump out

bullroarer 09-08-2017 08:48 AM

...as a follow up, but doubt this is your problem, and that is to tension up the balancer shaft as if it was not particulary engaged it too can cause engine to rattle, but on a bike such as yours with low kms, I doubt it is the prob, but any easy peesy thing to do before a major overhaul.