CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CBR 1000F racks, help

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 11:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CBR 1000F racks, help

Hey all, i am in the process of looking for a gear rack for my 94 cbr1000f, i have recently looked at a local wrecker who has a second hand ventura rack still attached to a bike. It is in good condition but under inspection i have noticed that there has been modifications or cutting out of spaces in the black uner-guard of the the rear for the rack to be attached. It fits really nicely on the bike but is this normal for a ventura rack or is it just a incorrent rack for the bike. If anyone has had experience with ventura racks on their bikes your input would be appreciated. Thanks

Old 09-22-2006, 11:54 AM
Default RE: CBR 1000F racks, help

Oh and btw, the price of the rack in very good condition is $60 AUS, is that a good price for such a rack and can i only fit ventura bags to the it or can i look at others. Cheers big ears [8D]

Old 09-22-2006, 12:03 PM

Hi there, those cut outs under the rear fairing are the standard way to attach a rack to the bike, whatever the manufacturer (Givi, Nonfango etc).

I recently fitted a nonfango rack to my bike - I had to remove the rear fairing, remove the appropriate cutouts on the underside (it's easy) then fit the rack up and re-assemble.

Until you take the rear fairing off you dont even know there are cut outs there ready for removal so you can fit a rack.

Those ventura racks look quite cool.

Old 09-22-2006, 12:19 PM

Ok, thanks Gorilla, i will have a look in the morning, also what did you use to cut out the holes in your rack?

Old 09-22-2006, 12:29 PM

I believe I used what we call over here a "Stanley" knife. Any sharp knife will do - even a pair of snips would do it. It's not the full thickness of the rear fairing and there is an indent line to follow. When you get the rear fairing off all will become clear.

When the rack is removed from the other bike, might as well get the fixing bolts as well.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:16 PM

the rack that was on my 95 when I got it looked ok once it was on but getting it to fit straight was always a struggle. It's made of square tube with bent strips of metal that never seem to hold their proper alignment to fit cleanly on the bike. I'm prolly doing something wrong...

Anyways, I still have the top section of a ventura rack that was on my previous bike (Hyosung GT650). I'm intending to buy 2 6" to 8" pieces of pipe to bend and bolt onto the grab rail that will hold the ventura top bit in place.

I saw a new bike with a ventura rack that was connected something like the way I'm looking at doing it. When the rack and mounts are not fitted, there will be 2 holes in the grab rail on each side but if I think they are too noticable, I'll fit some plugs to them to cover it up.

I think it will give a neater finish than taking the grab rail on and off each time Iwant to fit/remove the rack.

I doubt I'll get to it in the next month but this is my plan.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:57 PM

They are called "Stanley Knife" here as well
$60 is pretty good, if it came off a CBR1000F.
Any bag should do
I think it's about AU$350 for new rack and Bag
You can buy bags off eBay easily enough, getting a rack from this bike is very hard, if you see another one, let me know, I'm in the market for one

Old 09-23-2006, 12:52 AM

Thanks guys, i will have to go find my stanley knife this weekend and get to work, i will keep you updated as to how i go

Old 09-23-2006, 01:24 AM

someone told me that GearSacks bags are better that Ventura bags, but I really don't know for sure

Old 10-01-2006, 03:34 AM

ive got a gearsack rack and bag, the only thing is, it looks so damn bulky and crap. also for the times when i want to feel like a boy racer and take it off it takes forever. i too want a ventura rack. whoever knows where you can get them on the cheap lemme know (australia)

Quick Reply: CBR 1000F racks, help