CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cbr 1000f

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2009, 08:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cbr 1000f

Hi chaps.

Looking seriously at a CBR100f. Has good history, 40k new camchain and tensioner. What are these motors good for and is there anything specific for me to look at. Are there any bits on this site that would be of use to me. I await your replies. Thanks.
Rick

Old 09-05-2009, 09:36 AM
Default Cbr 1000

Hi
Thanks for your prompt reply. Yes totally new to CBR 1000's. Have 2x FJ1200's in the garage which will be staying there. Offered a CBR that I fancy a go at. Will have a look at what you have suggested. Thanks again.
Rick

Old 09-05-2009, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Hiyu Rick...I moved your post to its own thread mate ...where are you from ?

The 1000F is like all engines as good for as long as it is maintained.. but a well looked after one will run 100,000+ miles easy ..
That's too big a question mate ..
Just browse these 1000F boards and you will find all manner of discussion about them that may interest you ...
READ THIS THREAD FIRST ! https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=96217
it will explain a few things if you are totally new to 1000F's

welcome to the CBRF ...
Forgot to say. From the UK. I notice you are not exactly local!!

Old 09-05-2009, 09:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ricksmith
Hi chaps.

Looking seriously at a CBR100f. Has good history, 40k new camchain and tensioner. What are these motors good for and is there anything specific for me to look at. Are there any bits on this site that would be of use to me. I await your replies. Thanks.
Rick
Hi Rick
Where to start....?
First it would help to know a little more about you, and your biking "history"
For example, if this will be your first "big bike" - I would say you should perhaps consider the weight - around 600 Lbs, which is a lot to handle - if of course you've been around the block a few times, it'll be fine.
These bikes are well engineered, mile munchers that will run well into triple digits all day long. Tank is 22L which will give you around 200 miles+ between fillups.Comfortable with good ergonomics.
Maintenance is the key to bike reliability, and if you are keen to "do your own" you will find a mountain of useful information in these threads - if you need to ask, let us know, and we'll try to assist. There's no such thing as a dumb question here !
These bikes are well known for eating the odd camchain, but as yours has just been done, that should be fine.Regulator/rectifiers are inclined to give up on the odd bike - keep your battery topped up and keep an eye on things generally and all should be well.
There are a number of members here who'se bikes are into the 65000 miles level, with no problems, other than usual maintenance like brake pads and oil changes and plugs etc.
Have a look through the technical sections at the top of the Hurricane board and you'll find the full workshop manual, and a number of "how to's" from those of us who are so inclined.
I wouldn't swop my "old Big Bird" for anything else currently in production.........except maybe a newer one ! They are deceptively quick, and will probably have more top end than most can handle - best I've done is 11 kilometers in three minutes at the coast which will give you some idea........
Then there's how they look - well, all the members have experiences of people ask about them - some would say they were ahead of their tie, and I'd agree.
The best way is to ride one - heavy at rest, but once the wheels turn, the "grin factor" will take over, and things really happen past around 5500RPM's - pick up speed like a scalded rabbit !
Hope this helps - let us know how you get on.
Mine's a 90 model with just on 48000 Miles up.
Just read your info on Fj's - good bikes, but they'll never be a Hurricane !

Attached Thumbnails Cbr 1000f-best-best.jpg  

Last edited by Shadow; 09-05-2009 at 10:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2009, 10:29 AM

Shadow.

Thanks for your reply. Glad you noticed the FJ's. Have had bikes all my life but not a CBR 1000. I have a Honda motor car which seems ok. In relation to maintainance I have stripped both back ends( Suspension ) of my FJ's and put grease nipples at the strategic points. Would the CBR benefit from such an operation and if so is the back end easy to get at. FJ's are fairly easy. There looks like a lot of plastic on the CBR's. Also how often does the coolant need flushing out/replacing on the CBR's. Can't think of any other items that are particularly bothering me.
Thanks
Rick

Old 09-05-2009, 10:54 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, Rick!
Forgot to say. From the UK. I notice you are not exactly local!!
You'll find that the people here are from all over the world. We have several members here in the 'Cane section from the UK, though. It's cool we have such a diverse crowd, and I always love to here the Euro slang!

As far as coolant flushes, the CBR is not really different from any other bike, I guess. If your coolant looks like crap, it may be in your best interest to flush it out, but I have never heard of anyone having too big of an issue with it.

With the suspension, it's really no different on the CBRs, either. Maintenance is pretty straight forward. The full plastics are no big deal, either. Easy enough to get on and off.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:28 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rick , welcome to the forum mate

The plastics worried me a bit at first , but once you've taken them off and popped them back on a few times you can do it in a couple of minutes . Not had the tail panels off yet , but no reason to suppose they'd be any harder. Most of the stuff , rear suspension wise you can do without removing the tail section

BTW I live in the uk , this site is great , with a great bunch of guys!

Old 09-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hope looking seriously turns into "proud owner" sooner than later man.......you have
no idea what you are missing............. one word THRILLING.

Quick Reply: Cbr 1000f