CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Carburetor Cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 497 Likes on 449 Posts
Default Carburetor Cleaning

Hey y'all (that's a southern expression). For those of you that have cleaned your carburetors, I was wondering if you could tell me how big the hole is that goes through the "Slow Jet"? The main jet when I cleaned them is fairly large that you can readily see through when it's clean. But for the slow jet, it's all I can do to get light to show through them. If any of you are familiar with what we call a "twistie tie" on a loaf of bread that's usually white or black and has a paper coating on it. Well inside it is a wire that's pretty stiff. I peeled the paper back and used it to clean the inside of that jet. The wire is .015" in diameter. It was all I could do to get it to go through it. I wanted to know what your experience was with cleaning them.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe it would help if I mentioned that this is on my 1994 1000F. 38 people have read this post and no one has any idea of what size hole is in the slow jet ?

Old 08-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with Classic, never stick wire through jets. If carb cleaner can spray through the jet, it's clear. Anyway, the main and slow jets never clog unless the bike sits for a long time with gas leaking into the carbs. The 93 and later CBR's use a weird method of setting the floats. I would do the floats first, then take the tops off the carbs and clean the air jets, piston, and walls.

Old 08-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the responses. I'm not trying to actually measure them, just trying to get an idea of what kind of expectations I should have. I've cleaned these carbs a couple of years ago, as well as a few times on our F3's. I've neglected the 1000F and left fuel in the tank and carbs (I know, you don't have to say it). Well,needless to say they were pretty gummy and the gas stank to high heaven. I was really trying to get a feeling from what others experiences have been on cleaning them.

Well, they're all clean an back on the bike. Now I've got to fix a pesky leak in the end of the radiator. I noticed that spraying onto the top of the carbs after I got it running. My fault for not riding her more .

Old 08-02-2009, 02:39 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I found the best thing to poke down there was fishing line - cant help with size inf o though lol

Old 08-02-2009, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Harry_T_Hamster
I found the best thing to poke down there was fishing line - cant help with size inf o though lol
Well, that helps. Does the fishing line go all the way through the slow jet ? Do you recall what brand and what pound test line you used ?

Old 08-02-2009, 11:36 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bill, I can only offer you what works for me.
I take a can of engine start and fire it into the jets - if there's any buildup in there that'll move it generally. Compressed air next choice, but NOT wire.
I didn't answer originally because I don't know the exact size in .000 in.

Old 08-02-2009, 12:57 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
Bill, I can only offer you what works for me.
I take a can of engine start and fire it into the jets - if there's any buildup in there that'll move it generally.
Same thing here.
I use carb cleaner and jam that little red tube they give you up against the hole and take a bath.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:05 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My preference is Seafoam to break up any chit down the carbs and actually use it on
just about all the motors I have, cars, mowers, saws, splitters ... you name it .

Quick Reply: Carburetor Cleaning