CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Carb Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carb Troubles

I just got my new(to me) '87 Hurricane running this week. When I bought it, it had a "small gas leak", "probably just a gasket" I was told. When I got it 5 1/2 hours home and got it apart, it turns out that one of the carb bowls was cracked. No problem, I thought. A little JB Weld will take care of that.
Two weeks later and it is still leaking. I don't have to tell you how much it hurts to see gasoline pour out onto the ground with gas prices as they are.

Anyway, I went last evening and bought some of the JB Weld putty stuff because it said that it seals holes in gas tanks, so I figured that it would repair a broken, (the entire corner is broken off by now), carb bowl. I let it sit for an hour. The package said 20 minutes was sufficient, but I like to be safe. Went out and poured some gas in my cup that I use to feed the carbs when the tank is off. After it got up to nice running temperature, a huge flame shoots up off of the exhaust. [:-]
I shut it off, got the extinguisher out and put the fire out. Yesterday was the first day that I had ridden it to work. Boy am I glad that it waited until I got home to catch fire.

That was the last straw, I need a float bowl. I can buy one new for $119 or I can buy a used set of carbs for $125. But I just need the float bowl.
Does anybody know of a good resource for such things? I don't have any motorcycle junk yards in my area.
Maybe I would be better off just buying the whole set of carbs even though I don't need them.

What say you guys?

Old 06-19-2008, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 498 Likes on 450 Posts
Default RE: Carb Troubles

You can get that from Service Honda for $77.22. Not sure which one you need, there are 3 different part numbers depending on which carburetor and if it's CA model or not.

Old 06-19-2008, 07:29 AM

Go for the spare carbs. That way you can have a little fun and have one setup normal and one setup for pods

Old 06-19-2008, 08:16 AM

What is the benefit of using the pods? I looked at some last evening and was afraid that I would get too much air. I'd have to jet the carbs, right? And then I'd have to open the exhaust up too?

ORIGINAL: Trips

Go for the spare carbs. That way you can have a little fun and have one setup normal and one setup for pods

Old 06-19-2008, 09:00 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Post a pic of the float bowl - I have a spare set of carbs, maybe a bowl will fit.....
www.Mrcycles has a set of bowls for $82 - Bill was that price for a set ?

Old 06-19-2008, 12:23 PM

Shadow,
That's just for 1 bowl, though I think. The bowl gasket and something else. I can buy a whole set of carbs on ebay right now for $125 + Shipping.

The one that I need is the bowl from the second carb from the left if you are sitting on the bike looking at the carbs from the top.

Old 06-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi - I have a spare set of carbs that I am Have used to nick bits off (They came free with my bike) if shadow can't help then I may be able to whereabouts are you ?

Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM

I'm in VA. USA. You're "on the other side of the pond", right?

ORIGINAL: Harry_T_Hamster

Hi - I have a spare set of carbs that I am Have used to nick bits off (They came free with my bike) if shadow can't help then I may be able to whereabouts are you ?

Old 06-19-2008, 05:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes mate northern England.

I'll get a pic at the weekend and you can circle the bit you need - Unless Peter can help???

Old 06-19-2008, 10:59 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're a lot closer than I am, Harry T, and if your set won't miss a bowl.......nice

There are 3 different sets of carbs for the 1000F Riegnman - we need to know which one you have, so the Leprechauns in my shed can get busy.....he he

I'll take a pic of my set and post it up - it's 6am here, winter, can't find my camera - maybe the "Little People" borrowed it. Just had major floods here too.....aaaargggh.

Quick Reply: Carb Troubles