Is it a carb issue and how to fix it? - Page 6 - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Old 06-12-2018, 11:18 AM

A massive vacuum leak could also cause similar problems, I guess. Maybe some hose or boot has a hole that only opens up when compressed maybe...?

It's a weird problem. Hopefully you get the old girl running right
Old 06-19-2018, 11:37 AM

Default Look guys - you're not going to believe this...

Gronkfries, Tentacleslap and others - I've just solved that goddamn bump/misfire/power loss problem and it's a cracker.....I remember the previous owner had installed a datatool alarm and then had problems with it and took it off again over 25 years ago. After some of you (especially tentacleslap) insisted it must be an electrical problem I went through the electrical system thoroughly to check it. I saw some rather odd looking white insulating tape wrapped around the loom in the vicinity of the ignition control unit. I untaped it and found a screw down connector used for wiring houses (we call them dominoes in UK) holding 2 wires together and when I tugged lightly at it it fell apart. It was where the previous owner had taken out the alarm and bodged the repair to the wire which kept coming apart each time a bump jolted it. Properly soldered, it works a treat and now I can drive over as many bloody bumps/holes as I like without cutting out or misfiring. Can't be too many examples like that one???? Or can there? I'll update another thread I contributed to with this news for anyone who has subscribed to that one just to demonstrate that this forum's expertise really does help. Thanks so much for insisting it must be electrical 'cos I was almost ready to risk stripping the threads on the carb screws again!
Old 06-19-2018, 11:41 AM
Welcome Crew

Well done!
Old 06-19-2018, 02:37 PM

Yes, way to be persistent! Glad you got it solved. You can mail tentacleslap his ten bucks now...
Old 06-20-2018, 11:38 AM

Right on!

Let me just say, brightly colored electrical tape is awesome stuff. If I'm forced to hack something, I always wrap bright red tape over the splice. That way, I know where to start when it stops working
Old 06-21-2018, 02:14 AM

Only $10? Labour rates over that side of the pond really are cheap! I've just been looking at some of tentacleslaps' vids on youtube... It makes you realise what experience some of the folks on these forums (fora) have. Unfortunately, I'm thinking my own "problem" described in this thread is not yet fully at an end since I've now noticed some "rough running at low revs/idle" that was probably hidden by the other (now resolved) issue, but before posting for more help (yet again) I'll gather some running "experience" to help me better describe the symptoms. Until my next posting for help............thanks for the great advice so far!