CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

carb adjuster question

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default carb adjuster question

hi i am going to sinc my carbs on my 1000fk using round gauges,have looked at video,quite clear to connect them up,but where are screws to adjust them,?this may be a stupid question but i dont want to alter wrong screws case i muck something up.thanks in advance .any tips appreciated.

Old 08-29-2010, 01:45 PM

I have not done this myself as a mate did it for me I remember him adjusting it from the top on the cylinder head side of the carbs, little starhead screws I think!

Old 08-29-2010, 04:17 PM

Great question as I have ordered a carbtune to do the same thing and the video and pics are unclear which is the adjuster screw. I looked at my carbs today and I am 95% sure which are the correct ones, but more info or pics would be great.

Old 08-29-2010, 04:28 PM

They're blue screws for the 1-2 and 3-4 carbs, the 2-3 if hard to find

Old 08-29-2010, 07:15 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, they're regular philips head screws between the carbs. The one between 2 and 3 (middle one) is definitely the hardest to see.
There's a picture right in the manual along with a description on how to do the whole thing.
Manual HERE.
It's under section 3-8 (page 56 of the pdf)

Old 08-30-2010, 09:26 AM

See if you can find them in the photo. I can tell you from experience, 2 of the screws I would never have found without a photo from a manual. In fact, I never did see the phillips head on one of them, no matter how hard i tried. I just poked the screwdriver in there and moved it around until it eventually fell in the slot.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:09 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scorpion2010
hi i am going to sinc my carbs on my 1000fk using round gauges,have looked at video,quite clear to connect them up,but where are screws to adjust them,?this may be a stupid question but i dont want to alter wrong screws case i muck something up.thanks in advance .any tips appreciated.
Ok! First thing, they are slotted screws with a lock nut (sorry guys). There is not an adjustment for #2 as it is the base carb. You are trying to match the others to it. The three you will be adjusting are almost along side the carb body. #1 is to the right of the carb body, slightly forward of center of #1 carb, looking down through the frame where the sections meet near the back of the tank. #3 is to the left of carb #3 and #4 is left of the carb body as well.

You will need this tool for best results.

Carb tool link

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 08-30-2010 at 04:03 PM.
Old 08-30-2010, 06:04 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok! First thing, they are slotted screws with a lock nut (sorry guys).
Where did you manage to get oddball carbs, Tim?
My bike is regular philips like it says in the manual. And the reference carb is #3. Like others have said, you can see 2 of the 3 screws, but the third is a pita. The description below is about as accurate as I've ever heard....LOL...

I never did see the phillips head on one of them, no matter how hard i tried. I just poked the screwdriver in there and moved it around until it eventually fell in the slot.
I'm not even sure I've ever used a tool like that one you linked to.
The AF screws are the D-shape ones and I take them out with an empty .223 shell casing that I bend into a D and then I cut slots in the screws with a dremel for the future.

Old 08-31-2010, 06:09 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the ref. carb changed from the SC21 to SC24 models from #2 to #3.

Old 08-31-2010, 07:30 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
Where did you manage to get oddball carbs, Tim?

I'm not even sure I've ever used a tool like that one you linked to.
My carbs are factory 1994. You now have me thinking. It could be that I am loosing my mind (even further). Now I will have to pull the bike apart or I will not be able to sleep. One thing for sure, #2 is my base or my name isn't Elvis Presley.

I bought that tool as you can un-lock the screw and make the adjustment and then lock it down again. I have done several bike with it.

Quick Reply: carb adjuster question