CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

CAN I CHANGE FROM ***STOCK TIRES***AND STAY SAFE

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CAN I CHANGE FROM ***STOCK TIRES***AND STAY SAFE

HI FOLKS CAN YOU HELPI HAVE A CBR 1991 1000F AND I KNOW THE STOCK TIRES ARE 120/70-17 AND THE REAR ARE 170/60-17CAN I GO WITH 120/60-17 FRONT AND 180/60-17 OR BETTER-PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND TELL ME WHAT YOU HAVE ON YOUR RIMSI AM NOT INTO FAST SPEED TURNING-THANKS FOLKS

Old 01-25-2009, 04:45 PM
Default RE: CAN I CHANGE FROM ***STOCK TIRES***AND STAY SAFE

Hi there and welcome to the forum

Please do not write in caps because in the internet etiquette it is equal to screaming .

For your question stay with the stock in front and the largest you can go for the rearis 180, if you go higheryour handling might suffer. even thoug you don't want to take curves in a fast way you never know where you might need quick handling on the road.

Thanks!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:59 PM

Ok, thanks for the help and how good are dunlop sport max or dunlop sport radial tires

Old 01-25-2009, 08:34 PM

I'm not sure about the Dunlops. I'm running Pirelli Diablo Stradas and am happy enough with them although thinking to change to Michelin Road Pilots next time around.

Old 01-25-2009, 10:37 PM

Hi everyone,
New member here…. From down under in oz
Now for the question of tires.
Tires are a personal thing.
We all have our own different way…. in the way we ride… hard slow acceleration, braking, and the lines we take in and out of the curves.
most of all setup.
Its not about what type of riding you intend to do.
But the question you should ask your self is will the tires pull you up in time in virtually any conditions wet or dry when you need too.
Like if a car pulls out …. And before you know it your tires let go and you hit it…… hmmm life, legs vs. good rubber and just maybe stopping in time to live to see another day.
Cheap tires : forget it…..
Good tries : even good tries will last and get good km’s out of them if your not hard on the throttle and when you need the time of optimizing traction its there.
Brands: that’s up to you what ever feels right for you…. You will have to work that one out…. not one brand of tire is for everyone.
In my racing days in New Zealand I used many brands some worked some didn’t even different brands front and rear.
Raced a CB 900 kitted out to 1100cc in 1983 many years ago.
Been off bikes for 18 years and 2 years ago got back on like I was never off.
Now I have a 1989 CBR 1000f for fun I run Michelin tyres Pilot Power.
Don’t buy a 180 rear tire just to have a wide tire ....for looks it may not work for handing and set up.

KJ

Old 01-25-2009, 11:25 PM

Tire brands can be argued forever. But the front 120/60 tire places the axle 12mm lower than the stock 120/70 tire. You can probably test how this tire will affect handling by raising the fork tubes up 12mm in the triple clamps with your stock tire. It will probably quicken the steering.

The 180/60 tire will raise the rear axle 6mm over the stock 170/60 tire. That will probably also quicken the steering. The combination of lowering the front and raising the rear will probaly quicken the steering a lot, but may make the bike twitchy. By the way, I like Avons in the stock sizes.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:51 AM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Listen CBRClassic: You really need to bury your axe towards Dunlop! The Dunlop Roadsmart is a very good tire, and have finished 1:st or second in many tests done by bike magazines here in Sweden (Motorrad and Bike). The places has come of a combo of grip, handling, wet grip and feel amongst other things. The Dunlop Qualifier and Qualifier RR is a tire recommended by for example a guy suspected to have an alias called "Ghost Rider" (ring a bell?) by most in Sweden who are a little active in biking. Note! Qualifier is not the best choise on a CBR 1000 F on touring and commuting missions, that tire needs to be ridden hard! R1000 had Roadsmart on his Blackbird before he sold it, and were extremly happy with it!
No, I don't have Dunlop on my bike, I run a BT021 rear, and Avon Viper sport in front. Neither do I sell them, I'm just a simple carpenter...

Quick Reply: CAN I CHANGE FROM ***STOCK TIRES***AND STAY SAFE