CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Cam chain tensioner

Old 11-23-2006, 06:47 PM
hmm
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cam chain tensioner

I know it's difficult, but can someone describe to me the noise made by the CCT?

It's usually described as a rattle. The last few days, on starting my CBR1000F-L, I'm getting what I would describe as more like a clatter. Sounds like it's coming from the middle of the bike, under the tank somewhere. I think it goes away after a few minutes and after my 45-minute commute she sounds smoother. Is the clatter related to the ambient temperature? It's been a bit colder here in Blighty lately.

Tonight, however, I stopped at a petrol station on the way home from work. When I started her up again, there was the clatter again, even though the engine was warm. [sm=smiley25.gif]

Old 11-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Cam chain tensioner

Hi H. You might be right and it might be the CCT. But when you next do the oil adjust the ballancer shaft on the lower bottom right hand side oof your engine. Check your manual that I sent you for details. Hope this helps. A

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 11-23-2006, 07:35 PM
hmm

Hi collector

Thanks for the advice, dunno if you've emailed me recently but I've had some PC probs, apologies if you think I'm ignoring you.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Just checking to see if I used the linx, ha ha ha. No, seriously, hope you get the problem sorted soon.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
dad

You described the cam chain tensioner to a tee. The balance shaft won't come and go and might be more prevalent when warm.

Old 11-23-2006, 08:49 PM
dad

You described the cam chain tensioner to a tee. The balance shaft won't come and go and might be more prevalent when warm.

Old 11-24-2006, 02:46 PM

Your right Dad, But I was thinking of other things which Hmm has had done and a change of oil might be on the cards.

Old 11-24-2006, 04:37 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: dad

I agree. The CCT is like a hydraulic lifter that can bleed out when at the pump and fill back up when back on the road. It will also bleed out over night and it will take a wile to fill on the mornings start.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:10 PM
hmm

It's got worse.

Tonight, 20-mile ride home, had the clatter all the way. First few miles slow riding through heavy London traffic, the rest pretty fast riding, between 50 and 100mph.

Sounds like it's coming from the front of the engine high up, it's loudest when I put my ear close to the handlebars/clocks, but until I take the fairing off and have a proper listen, I'm not sure.

I changed the oil a couple of weeks ago. Prior to that it had been losing oil - not anywhere visible, but I had to top it up regularly. I thought this noise might be related as hadn't topped up since oil change and have done a couple of long journeys, so bought some oil on the way in to work. But when I got to work and checked the oil level, it was still at the 'full' mark on the dipstick.

Any ideas what the noise might be? It is very audible on tickover, it gets quicker as the revs rise. Probably a mechanic could listen and immediately say 'Oh, yeah, that's the....' but I'm not a mechanic!

Thanks.

Old 11-24-2006, 08:16 PM

Hi H, what colour was the oil that you took out at oil change?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cam chain tensioner