CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Broken starter chain

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 08-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

jinglezdj, i had same problem when i got my bike. i ended up having to change both the starter clutch and the dampner thats on the alternator shaft. i had to take her apart like 10 times to figure that one out. if your alternator shaft is turning and the motor is not turning i would suggest you try that part. Get the service manual and look in it, its in section 10-16 part number 18 on the diagram. if if your good and have a small pick you can get it off with out seperating the crankcase. took me a few hours to figure that out, i really didnt want to completly disassemble her.

Old 08-13-2009, 02:17 AM

Touché. I think you got it in one.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:08 PM

Well I managed to follow the guide that was provided by another chap who had the same problems as me, managed to get the damper out and check it out. I can turn it one way but not the other even with some force, so I think that is ok. I then checked the starter clutch thingy and again the same with this. So I guess its all ok?? I'll re-assemble again tomorrow and give the starter another try, but maybe it is the starter motor after all. What would you guys say?

Thanks

Old 08-14-2009, 12:12 AM

NOP
You can't test them just by trying to turn by hand. It's probably not the starter clutch, but more likely to be the starter damper. Read the writeups on this - basicly you need to clean the plates and refit them - I fitted an extra spring which will work for a while, but I think eventually I'll have to buy a complete new one.(you can't buy the parts separately as far as I know) Price around $120 from www.mrcycles.com

This may help you..................one of many threads on this issue
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...starter+clutch

Last edited by Shadow; 08-14-2009 at 12:19 AM.
Old 09-03-2009, 12:48 PM
Default What now

This is an update as i promised to the starter chain repair. Engine is out and case is split,I found that the tensioner for the starter chain was broken when I took the case apart so that is ordered and the new chain is on the crank. But, I have one small problem I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get the chain back on the alternator shaft. The manual is no help If any of you guys know the answer I would really appreciate it if you would tell me too. Here are some pictures to go along with the story.

Attached Thumbnails Broken starter chain-engine-out.jpg   Broken starter chain-empty-frame.jpg   Broken starter chain-split-case.jpg   Broken starter chain-crank-cluch-out.jpg  
Old 09-03-2009, 01:11 PM

If you read the original article bt Stu - that tells you to remove the stator, remove the damper unit, and then angle the damper unit and "massage" the chain on.
I'm sure there must be another way with the engine stripped, especially as you are replacing the chain tensioner. Sorry I can't be more helpful..............

Old 09-03-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Shadow
If you read the original article bt Stu - that tells you to remove the stator, remove the damper unit, and then angle the damper unit and "massage" the chain on.
I'm sure there must be another way with the engine stripped, especially as you are replacing the chain tensioner. Sorry I can't be more helpful..............
Thanks for the reply it may come to that if nothing else comes up.

Old 09-03-2009, 08:21 PM

Originally Posted by CBRclassic
Gawd ...I still get page not found when using that link Pete ...
I know it was working for you Pete ...
http://www.stu.co.nz/cbr1000fix/

Will someone else try it and tell me if its working for you ?
Not working for me either

Quick Reply: Broken starter chain