CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Broken Oil Pump Chain!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 12:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken Oil Pump Chain!

So I have 1988 CBR1000f and I was out riding last weekend when my oil light came on. I killed the engine immediately got my truck and brought it home. I checked the oil pressure sensor and found it was good. Took the oil pan off and found my oil pump chain and sprocket in the bottom of the pan. The chain was broken in a number off places and the sprocket bolt was broken along with one off the teeth on the sprocket. Last night I took the engine out of the frame and started taking the engine apart so I can split the case to put the new chain over the crankshaft. While I got the engine apart I am planning on replacing the cam chain and tensioner is there anything else that you guys would recommend I replace that goes bad often and would be easy to replace with the engine split? Have you guys ever heard of an oil pump chain breaking? Well I am going to go now and split the case the rest of the way.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Definitely alternator/starter chain & tensioner. The tensioners are a weak point on these bikes. Sounds to me like it's all been apart before. That would probably be why the bolt & chain broke unless something jammed the pump.

Old 03-15-2009, 07:16 PM

Before you get too far into splitting your cases, check to see if you need to remove the cylinder head and cylinder to split the cases. On the 93-96, there are 3 bolts under the cylinder jugs that also hold the cases together (means you need to order a head gasket and a base gasket)

Old 03-16-2009, 04:15 AM

No need to remove the cylinders on the early motors. There are a couple bolts on the top of the motor but they are easily accessible. If you have a manual just follow the directions. It's quite straight forward.

Old 03-31-2009, 08:43 AM

Hey just a quick update. I split the case and found the alt chain tensioner stuck and the alt chain stretch really far.The old chain is nearly 1/2 inch longer than my new alt chain. I just got all my parts in yesterday that I needed and I started reasembly last night. I am replacing all the chains and the tensioners and all the gaskets. But besides the alt chain/tensioner everything in my engine looked great and were within serves specs. I put in about 5 hours last night and I think that I will have the engine back together after about 3 tonight. Alot of that time has been cleaning every square in of the inside and out of the engine. Well I will let you all know hopefully by this weekend if the bike goes back together ok and if it runs.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:29 PM

Ware there any signs before the chain broke? Noise or a rattle?

Old 03-31-2009, 10:25 PM

Well done. Quick question. Did you replace the cam chain at the same time? I know you said you replaced all chains it's just easier to do while the cases are split & yes she will run beautifully.

Old 04-07-2009, 10:19 AM

So last Saturday around 5 in the morning my bike roared to life (neighbors not to happy) after the engine had been completely disassembled and rebuilt. My bike is like brand new now. I can't point out any one thing as the cause but she has more power than I could ever imagine. After ridding easy for about a hundred mile just to make sure everything was settling right I opened it up on a country road near by and next thing I know I am going over 150 MPH and then I had to slow down for a car (easily could have gone faster). My bike before the engine rebuild never went over 135. I think that the following may have caused jump in performance: all carbon deposits on head and pistons completely removed, every square in inside and out cleaned, all chains and tensioners replaced = no slack, spark plugs replaced, carbs thoroughly cleaned and synced, and valve clearances adjusted. Right now I am the happiest guy in the world. Just for your guys info I have a total of 83 man hours logged into the removal, disassembly, clean, rebuild, and install of engine. A buddy helped me most of the time that is why I said man hours not my hours. I spent near 50 hours working on it. If anyone has to split there engine for any reason (or any engine work) feel free to ask any questions as right now I know the inter workings of my bike better than I know the back of my hand. I live in Central Indiana USA If anybody near by needs any help. One last think I love my bike !!!

Quick Reply: Broken Oil Pump Chain!