CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brakes and suspension - Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 05:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brakes and suspension - Help!

Hi!

I have 2 questions =)

First, I seem to have some problem with my rear brake pedal.
When i push it, nothing barely happens, if the bike is on it's center stand the wheel might stop.
There seems to be no resistance in the brake pedal. when you pump it 2-3 times there's a little bit of resistance, but then it just goes right to the bottom. It has absolutely no effect what so ever when I'm riding.

The reservoir is full, so there's no leaks. The bike has the CBS system, but when i use the hand lever still nothing happens on the rear brake.

what could it be?

Number 2.
I tried to deliver my Hagon monoshock for a service yesterday, but the guy at the workshop didnt think it was worth the while.
SO, I need to buy a new monoshock, any good ideas? I've been looking at Öhlins shocks but they are a bit pricey, still, if any one recommends them I might just go for it, but I'm very open to other propositions =)

Old 01-09-2014, 10:22 AM
June 2013 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should try to see if you can bleed your rear brake. Personally, I'd take it off and disassemble it, make sure everything is in good order then bleed. If everything looks good, and you can't bleed the system, then your master cylinder might be done and need rebuilt.

As for the shock - you most economical option might be a used one, check ebay.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

The hand lever will not work the rear unless the front wheel is spinning forward. There is a secondary master cylinder mounted on the backside of the left fork tube. When the front is applied, the caliper grips the rotor and through the linkage, applies pressure to the secondary master cylinder. When things are working correctly, with the bike on the center stand, pushing upward on the secondary master cylinder will apply the rear break.

First things first. Follow the bleeding procedure in this LINK.

Old 01-09-2014, 04:33 PM

Thanks guys! I'll try bleeding the brakes after i change the pads and change the fluid, hopefully its only air. I dont think the fluid has been changed for at least 5 years.

As for shocks I've checked out Wilbur shocks and also Hyperpro. Any experience with any of those?

Old 01-09-2014, 04:56 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I haven't done the shock but someone will be along that has. I think Bordo change it out recently. The old one can't be rebuilt.

Old 01-09-2014, 05:00 PM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the rotor as well. If its in shabby condition your braking will seem off. Obviously the pads. Maybe the pistons are sticking, perhaps shotty seals. One might be stuck, etc. Flush the lines. While changing pads inspect pistons and make sure both are operating. Try pushing them back down into the calipers, etc.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:39 AM

ok, so. I went with a Wilbers 640 suspension and I'll probably get the new pads, cooling hose and some other stuff later today. Hopefully a service will fix the brakes =)
Some of my fairings are also getting sprayed as we speak!

One thing i'm wondering, the Wilbers shock has external reservoir, any suggestions as to where to mount it? =)

Name:  IMG_20140220_220945.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  55.4 KB
Not a super good image, but you get the idea =)

Last edited by LiRk; 02-21-2014 at 06:44 AM.
Old 02-22-2014, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by LiRk
First, I seem to have some problem with my rear brake pedal.
When i push it, nothing barely happens, if the bike is on it's center stand the wheel might stop.
There seems to be no resistance in the brake pedal. when you pump it 2-3 times there's a little bit of resistance, but then it just goes right to the bottom. It has absolutely no effect what so ever when I'm riding.

The reservoir is full, so there's no leaks. The bike has the CBS system, but when i use the hand lever still nothing happens on the rear brake.

what could it be?
I had the exact same symptons as you describe some years ago on my old '95 1kf, no pressure on the rear brake pedal no matter how many times i bled the system.

In the end it turned out to be that the proportional control valve for the linked brakes had gone faultly and rather than the expense of a replacement one, in the end i had the brakes de-linked so they operated as normal brakes would for over half the price of a new valve from honda.

Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM

thanks, I'll test bleeding them first, hoping it will work, if it dosnt i might end um de-linking them =)