CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake Question Need Some Parts ->

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Brake Question Need Some Parts ->

So Does This Sound Just Like The Bike Needs Bled Correctly? Or Is The Caliper Messed Up? Thanks..

Old 08-27-2008, 12:18 PM

Im not an expert on the Hurricane braking system, but I replaced the pads on mine and I know a little about disc brake systems.I would be bleeding the brakes againto see if it will free up the stuck piston.If one of the pistons is still sticking, you can pull the caliper and see which piston is still sticking and use a pair of pliers to gently(very gently and evenly)push it back into the caliper. Then reinstall the caliper and bleed again. If it still sticks, you have problems with the seals, pistons,or even possibly with the caliper.

No matter what, you have yourself an awesome bike and should be able to get her going pretty quick.

Old 08-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bleed the brakes according to the procedure in the Manual, or it WON'T FUNCTION PROPERLY.
Only then will you know if you have other problems.

Old 08-27-2008, 03:15 PM

+1 Shadow. That is the best way to evaluate your brake issue. That way you are eliminating at least one important variable. Normally, air in a brake line would not cause the problem you describe (it would cause other problems), but with these linked brakes who knows. They are much more complicated than regular separate front/rear brake systems.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Zach, when you pull the lever (front brake) the left caliper engages the rotor. When this happens the caliper moves in the direction of the rotating rotor. Though linkage the caliper pushes on the secondary master cylinder and in doing so sends brake fluid to the rear caliper.

I think that you may have issues with the secondary master cylinder sticking. Also, the brake fluid that is sent to the rear caliper goes through a proportional valve. The valve may be faulty.

If you try to rebuild the fronts, take a good look at the parts list. There are 6 pistons up frontof 4 different sizes.
I think the rear has 2 different sizes.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:40 PM

Zach, do this first.

With the bike not moving press the rear pedel a few times hard.
When you do this is the rear wheel free to spin?

Old 08-27-2008, 09:43 PM

Zach, everything TBT says is correct, but I would save investigating the proportioning valve (PPV)as a last resort. Chances are it is fine and the problem lies either in the fluid lines (perform proper bleeding per Shadow1) the rear caliper internals (disassemble, inspect, repair) or the secondary master cylinder mounted on the left front fork leg, just above the brake caliper. If none of these uncovers your issue, then check the PPV. Good luck and be sure to report back on your progress.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 AM

hello forgot to mention the guy who i bought it off of changed the rear proportional valve.. im going to try and bleed the system here soon.. ill let you all know what is going on..Once again thanks for the good advise..

Old 08-29-2008, 09:25 AM

Steps are as follows; loosen the orifice bolt by backing it out against the snap ring and then stop. using the lever: bleed the right front caliper from theupper bleed valve. bleed the left front caliper from theupper bleed valve. using the pedal: bleed the front right caliper from the lower valve. bleed the front left caliper from the lower valve. bleed the rear caliper from the lower bleed valve bleed the rear caliper form the upper bleed velve. tighten the orifice bolt. Do not over tighten it. Note: You need to keep adding fluid to the reservoir or it will run dry. If this happens you start all over.

Old 09-20-2008, 04:38 PM

Hello all i have the bike at the shop for the brakes and they got back with me they said the Rear Back Master Cylinder is leaking, so they think thats it like you said Tim. Just ordered a complete kit and hopefully this will be all i need Just want the bike perfect. Ill let you know all more once they get the part and installed..Thanks Once Again...

Quick Reply: Brake Question Need Some Parts ->