CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bought an 88 Hurricane 1000 as project.

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bought an 88 Hurricane 1000 as project.

Ok, so I really wasn't expecting to buy another motorcycle, but once I rode her....well you know how that goes. I was doubtfull that I could get any power out of an old bike, but wow....She gives me 06 CBR 600 a run for her money. I was wondering, where can I buy aftermarket parts? Any good sites? I went to a local dealer, but they couldn't even produce an air filter, so I'm turing to ebay? Any advice.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:13 PM
Default RE: Bought an 88 Hurricane 1000 as project.

I get alot of my parts from a website called "bikebandit.com". They usually have what I want. If you hang around the site and glance through the pages of the "1000hurricane" forums you'll find alot of what you're looking for and where people got their stuff. I do alot of ebay shopping also. Even though our older bikes are well.... older. The price for new performance stuff is still priced like the bike is a new superbike.
Motor wise you can get just about anything you can for any other bike. Suspension is likewise. It's hard to find any performance aftermarket stuff for looks. Most stuff like that is for making the bike into a touring bike. Alot of us do wheel swaps on our older ones so we can fit newer performance tires. Theirs a couple of older cbr's on the site that have fairings off of a newer cbr1000rr. Just hang around the site and you'll find all kinds of interesting ideas, and very helpful knowledge. Welcome and congrats on being a cbr1000f owner!

Old 02-04-2007, 03:41 AM

Chuck, do you think our 87-88's fram and motor are same as 89 and after? If frame is same, we can use newer models' plastics can't we? BTW, have you seen this site?http://www.airtech-streamlining.com/hondaz/CBR10001987-90.htm I like Rothmans Hurrinace on this page!! For OEM parts, I love this site, http://www.hondaparts-direct.com/

Old 02-04-2007, 03:58 AM

Just for a good laugh...How many miles are on your bikes? I got mine with 22k...pretty low considering it's an 88...LOL damn..almost as old as me. I was born in 85. I'm interested in putting some new pipes on to start....CHUCK, I can't really tell from the pic, but what are you running and how does it sound?

Old 02-04-2007, 12:46 PM

Some people on the site say that '89 and 90' models were not sold here in the states. Then they came back in 91' as '90 models. I've wandered about the newer plastic fitting also. I've asked and PM'e people about it. As far as I got was... The upper fairings on the newer models are narrower and shorter where they mount to the lower fairings. If you have a little skills with body work you can make just about anything work. But nothing as far as I know is a diret bolt-in swap.
I'm currently trying to update the looks of my '88 hurricane too. My exhausts... well that depends... If the canister looks black then that was my custom "devilbbike" carbon fiber slip-on. Custom meaning I bought the can for another bike and had a pipe bent to mount it all up. Not alot of work. But alot cheaper when you get a damaged can for $40 and a pipe for $10. Compared to a new one (I'm cheap). If it is a recent picture that doesn't really show the whole bike, and the exhaust is polished then it's an older "Yoshimura" full system. I got it off of ebay. If you are wanting a good deal on a slip-on... on ebay there is a place sellingviper slip-ons for $189 new. If you want I'll take some pics of my bike today and post 'em. Looks just like yours.
Oh... I bought mine with 11,000miles on it. These bike are known for staying together for the long haul. Depending on how hard you ride it or the previous owner rode it. Even if it was rode hard I'd see 50,000 out of it. The only thing that wears out on these bike is the cam chain tensioner. Which I would bet it was changed with the chain. The tensioner hasn't caused death to one of our machines as far as I know. But it'll sure rattle.

Old 02-04-2007, 04:04 PM

ORIGINAL: Chuck Norris

Some people on the site say that '89 and 90' models were not sold here in the states. Then they came back in 91' as '90 models. I've wandered about the newer plastic fitting also. I've asked and PM'e people about it. As far as I got was... The upper fairings on the newer models are narrower and shorter where they mount to the lower fairings. If you have a little skills with body work you can make just about anything work. But nothing as far as I know is a diret bolt-in swap.
I'm currently trying to update the looks of my '88 hurricane too. My exhausts... well that depends... If the canister looks black then that was my custom "devilbbike" carbon fiber slip-on. Custom meaning I bought the can for another bike and had a pipe bent to mount it all up. Not alot of work. But alot cheaper when you get a damaged can for $40 and a pipe for $10. Compared to a new one (I'm cheap). If it is a recent picture that doesn't really show the whole bike, and the exhaust is polished then it's an older "Yoshimura" full system. I got it off of ebay. If you are wanting a good deal on a slip-on... on ebay there is a place sellingviper slip-ons for $189 new. If you want I'll take some pics of my bike today and post 'em. Looks just like yours.
Oh... I bought mine with 11,000miles on it. These bike are known for staying together for the long haul. Depending on how hard you ride it or the previous owner rode it. Even if it was rode hard I'd see 50,000 out of it. The only thing that wears out on these bike is the cam chain tensioner. Which I would bet it was changed with the chain. The tensioner hasn't caused death to one of our machines as far as I know. But it'll sure rattle.
I know what you mean by the rattle...but hey, it really doesn't bother me too much. I am not complaining for the price I got her at. Why did you take off the old Yoshi exhaust?How did it sound? Selling it?

I was also looking at the 1000F, 91 and up....are any of the plastics interchangable? I'm missing a center plastic right behind the front tire. Other than that...she seems pretty clean. I took off all the plastics and degreased the entire thing..looks nice! Felt like I was looking up a chicks skirt LOL.

One more thing.....I can't get the seat off...WTF... is there a trick to it I don't know about?

http://img217.imageshack.us/img217/9...rricaneaj5.png Here is a pic...

Old 02-04-2007, 04:24 PM

@ oacuna

Hi bud, not on your own i had that problem, try here

https://cbrforum.com/m_80065/tm.htm

hope it helps

Old 02-04-2007, 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: robgosty

@ oacuna

Hi bud, not on your own i had that problem, try here

https://cbrforum.com/m_80065/tm.htm

hope it helps
ok I don't feel so stupid now...I'll give it a shot once I'm off work...it's out in the parking lot right now

Old 02-04-2007, 05:41 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

The hurricanes 87-91 and the newer CBR1000F bikes 92-99, have many simularities but some very big
differences as well. The front part of the frame is pretty close to the same and will adapt to the newer body
work with work, but quite a few bracket tabs need to be made and took many hours for me to get it right without
modding the newer body work.

The rear of the bike is a different story as the tail mounting is totally different and needs a complete modification
to fit any 89/90 or newer tail as the Euro and Eastern markets 1989 model was like other 1990 bikes. Just as the
1992 model was a pre release of the North American 1993 model with linked brakes and the last body work update
on the CBR1000F. The rear of the older Hurricanes is unlevel and more rearward, also the stock exhaust pipes are
different with the rear mounting bracket in a more rearward position on the Hurricanes. This is does not normally
affect most aftermarket exhaust systems. The newer fuel tank is also different and it has a different front mounting
that requires an adapter be made or 2 holes drilled and tapped into the frame. The older Hurricane shock is also about
10-13 mm shorter and an Corbin seat for either model lowers you at least an inch. The newer seat must be used with
the newer bodywork unless you willing to do alot of modifications on the old seat and body work the newer fuel tank.
90 and newer bike have different wheels that are wider and delete the speedo drive in the front and move it to the
chain drive. a newer cable is sometimes needed to convert but not always. It depends on if you are changing the
clocks as well. The newer fairings have more parts to them and are a little more narrow but not much, but are a little
further foward. I'll edit and add more to this later today. but this is some info for now.

Dub

Old 02-04-2007, 06:14 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

CBR1988: I´d like to correct you on one thing: You said the linked brakes model was released in 1992 but in 1993 for North American market. This is not true, all linked brakes models are sold as year 1993.

Quick Reply: Bought an 88 Hurricane 1000 as project.