CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike Alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A good battery is a great investment - especially the gel batteries which don't require you to continually check the levels. A bit more expensive, but well worth the extra IMHO.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

^ I agree all the way Shadow.
A regular battery only last 2 years but a sealed battery can go almost 5-6 years. I just replaced mine at $98 USD. I would have spent 2-3 times that messing around with crappy batteries and replacing them every 1-2 years.

Now on to Walmart. Walmart sells things cheaper due to savings on quality. Sometime it's OK but things like batteries you don't want to cheap out on. You can build a cheap battery by using less materials (lead). By building a battery with thinner plates you can sell it cheaper than competitors but you cut the life span of it. Don't cheap out on your battery. Get a good sealed one and it will last twice as long as a cheap one and you will be ahead in the end with the cash flow.

Scottie, you can check the R/R and battery by disconnection the Neg cable form the battery at night. As mentioned before, it's normal to get more voltage above 3,000 rpm so that's normal. It sounds like it is charging. Two things that can cause drain down are the battery or a faulty R/R.

By disconnecting the battery, if the battery still has a charge in the morning, the diodes in the R/R are weak and letting the battery charge leak back into the Alt and draining the battery. If the battery is dead when disconnected, it is not holding a charge and needs to be replaced.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 07-15-2011 at 11:47 AM. Reason: adding more stuff
Old 07-15-2011, 06:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note on Walmart. I took some business classes in college even though I was studying Engineering. I did some research on Walmart as a company. They don't really end up skimping on quality. What they do is refusing to work with any company who spends unnecessary money. They do tend to get lower quality items from companies. But if a salesman flies to Walmart headquarters via First Class, they will refuse to hold any meetings with the salesman and forces him/her to go home. They want to promote spending money on only the necessities. But if you want to make a deal with Walmart, you have to take a bus, drive yourself(no limos), or fly coach. It is a really interesting business strategy if you ask me.

Sorry I know it was off topic, but I thought someone might find this information interesting...

Old 07-15-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A h jeez not Tim and Walmart .............. not again ........***** we spent 8 days
discussing this very subject recently .........FYI ......... there was no resolution
JUST RUM

Sealed batteries Scottie ........... only way to go man .....really !

Old 07-16-2011, 12:32 AM

Haha 8 days? Alright. Well I'll start drinking some rum and leave it alone.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:44 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by scottiekarate17
I took some business classes in college even though I was studying Engineering.
That's why you are confused. LOL

Did you disconnect the battery to see if the battery holds a charge over night yet? That's an important thing to try.

When Sprock is hitting the rum, I don't think he listens.LOL

Old 07-16-2011, 10:21 PM

no i haven't tried to disconnect the battery yet. I'm currently out of town, but am going to check to see if that is the issue monday night most likely

Old 07-17-2011, 12:52 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by TimBucTwo

When Sprock is hitting the rum, I don't think he listens.LOL
Absolutely it's a pastime where you are not supposed to multitask
much less listen to friends telling you to "leave some for me"

one word "Focus" just like riding a Hurricane !

Old 07-17-2011, 01:32 PM

A few months ago I was having starting issues and had the battery tested, it passed but just barely under load. I replaced it with a "Battery Source" sealed, not gel battery (because the gel was about twice the price, I know the gels are good have them in my wave runners for years) and what a dramatic difference. The starting rpm is much higher and the engine cranks so much quicker. What a big improvement.

btw I have had great luck with Walmart batts. and there is a walmart every where if you need an adjustment while traveling.Just saying.

Old 07-19-2011, 10:41 PM

So I tested the battery before I disconnected it. I left it disconnected for 24 hours. Tested it and it was the same voltage as before. What is the next step I should take?

I also have a couple of other random questions, My RPM gage, Temp gage, and Fuel gage aren't working. I haven't had any time to really trouble shoot it. Anyone have any suggestions of where to start? Thanks soo much for all the help

Quick Reply: Bike Alternator?