CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   CBR 1000F "Hurricane" (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/)
-   -   Bent forks :( (https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/bent-forks-154935/)

logleggett 09-13-2016 08:16 AM

Bent forks :(

Hello fellow Hurricane riders, I have been a constant veiwer of this fourm for some time now this is my first time posting however. I recently crashed my 95' going about 55 in a corner the plastics are all gone front crowl is hanging on by a thread and gauges are all smashed, Not to mention the reason I am making this thread by the looks of the forks one seems to be bent slightly I can turn the wheel to the left super far but the right only goes a little. In order for my tires to be stright it has to be held to the right more than usual which leads me to beleive the forks are bent. I am going to try and turn my girl into a street fighter however I am unsure what forks I can use to replace these ones if anyone knows please comment thank you guys for taking the time to read this! Also on a side note if anyone has a subframe for a newer 1000rr that they are looking to get rid of please DM me thank you!

Jaybird180 09-13-2016 02:51 PM

Loosen the forks in the triple clamps and attempt to reset. If you need new tubes, Racetech manufactures new tubes. All they need is the Inner and Outer Diameters and length, which they probably have already from Make/Model/Year info.

TimBucTwo 09-13-2016 04:11 PM

^+1
Put the bike up on the center stand and loosen the lower fork clamps. You should be able to lock the front wheel between your legs and move the bars straight before tightening the lower fork clamps.

A good machine shop or auto shop with a press may be able to help straighten them if they are bent slightly.
The problem may be the clamps themselves. I have seen where they have been bent on other bikes before.

exuptoy 09-13-2016 04:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Failing that they're right way up forks for a sports tourer. I'm sure something like Blackbird ones would fit even if you had to get spacers made up.
I fitted Hayabusa forks to my GPZ750R G2 and all I had to do was press out the stem and fit the stem from a ZX6R (which needed minor turning along with a TL1000 top yoke with a stepped top hat spacer made to fit into the top yoke. Also fitted a 180 back end from a ZXR750R, clocks from a 2000 ZX6, inductive speedo pick up and square sprocket nut from a ZX6, Offset front sprocket to account for the 180 rear from a ZZR1100D as it was space out a further 12mm.

Anything can be made to fit.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y14...s/IMG_1322.jpg

Attachment 26732

Attachment 26733

Attachment 26734

logleggett 09-13-2016 05:48 PM

awesome!

Thank you everyone for the advice I will attempt to loosen the lower clamps tomorrow and see what happens this is my first time doing anything with the forks so I am a little hesitante. But I trust what you guys have to say and will give it a shot! Cause hell it can't get any worse than it already is! Ill try and post some pictures of the bike tonight again thanks everyone for the help! Just to clarify on how to reduce the sping tension i would loosen the top nuts in the forks correct? Sorry for my newbie question haha:icon_beerchug:

Jaybird180 09-13-2016 10:47 PM

One thing at a time grasshopper. Get straight forks then let's work on spring preload later.

TimBucTwo 09-14-2016 08:58 AM

^+1

Originally Posted by logleggett (Post 1298438)
Just to clarify on how to reduce the spring tension i would loosen the top nuts in the forks correct?

The answer is no. There is more to it.

If the tubes are bent and need to be removed, defiantly check here on how to do it before attempting to remove the internals.

silverf1 09-17-2016 03:44 PM

Are all 87 and up 1000fs the same? I see good used ones on ebay all the time