CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

battery problems with 1993 1000f

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 09:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battery problems with 1993 1000f

My father has a 1993 1000f and we have been doing some maintenance on it for the beginning of the season. the bike was not staying on due to an idling issue. we changed the plugs, air filter, and cleaned the plugs. the bike was now fine. so we thought. the last time we rode was last year and when we did the battery died out on him. this year when my battery died he decided to buy a new battery at the same time. he went for a quick ride down the street to inspect the bike and when he got back home, the bike wouldnt start. the battery had died again. so i whipped out the multimeter and started testing. the battery seems to be charging fine when reved up to 5000rpm (about 14.6 volts at the battery). everything tested fine. no leakage from the battery either. however when i tested the RR directly i didnt get a reading so we ordered a new one to be safe. the battery still charges the same. we took it for a ride and it wouldnt turn on after he shut it off. the battery was dead again. i am out of ideas. idk what else to check. please help before we take it to the stealer ship. thanks

Old 05-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Your voltages are correct, so the R/R and stator sound OK.

I'd think that you may have a damper problem with the starter - sounds like the battery's dead but it isn't.

Read this thread
https://cbrforum.com/forum/cbr-1000f-hurricane-38/wont-start-when-hot-slow-crank-like-battery-dead-but-not-dead-110961/ and look for the video link to see and hear what it sounds like.

http://www.stu.co.nz/cbr1000fix/

I'd say that's your problem. My bike did it too - would start when cold, but not when warmed up.
Not too hard, see the vid for how to fix it

Cost about $220 from www.mrcycles.com or rebuilt the old one.......for a temp repair.

Last edited by Shadow; 05-25-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jam0837
My father has a 1993 1000f and we have been doing some maintenance on it for the beginning of the season. the bike was not staying on due to an idling issue. we changed the plugs, air filter, and cleaned the plugs. the bike was now fine. so we thought. the last time we rode was last year and when we did the battery died out on him. this year when my battery died he decided to buy a new battery at the same time. he went for a quick ride down the street to inspect the bike and when he got back home, the bike wouldnt start. the battery had died again. so i whipped out the multimeter and started testing. the battery seems to be charging fine when reved up to 5000rpm (about 14.6 volts at the battery). everything tested fine. no leakage from the battery either. however when i tested the RR directly i didnt get a reading so we ordered a new one to be safe. the battery still charges the same. we took it for a ride and it wouldnt turn on after he shut it off. the battery was dead again. i am out of ideas. idk what else to check. please help before we take it to the stealer ship. thanks
Been having an issue for 2 years, where sometimes my battery would leave me stranded. I put a new battery in this season, same stuff was happening. Thought it was my alarm draining to much, so disconnected it. Then we thought it could be the starter damper. It ended up being just an RR (because the last time I ran it, it wouldn't go over 12.3v). PLEASE BE AWARE, I was chasing my tail thinking the RR was good because it made 14v at 3k RPMs...until it completely failed.

My recent posting regarding this issue:
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110961