CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Barn Find 88 Hurricane 1000 F

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2008, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Barn Find 88 Hurricane 1000 F

Today is my birthday. I told my wife I was going to spend the day working on the bike. She said you should take it for a ride instead. Well that is two against one now. Off I go for a ride. Thanks....I can alway work on it later.

Old 08-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Happy birthday blewzman!
Sounds to me like a conspiracy between shadow and your wife. They both want you out for a long ride, eh?
You gotta watch shadow..... How do you think he got that name? Always lurking in the shadows!

Old 08-31-2008, 11:59 AM

Happy Birthday. Hope you had a great ride.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:25 PM

That's beautiful. Its the color I wanted back in the day. I have a red over black '88. You'll love this bike.

Old 08-31-2008, 01:49 PM

106 mile ride got all the kinks out of the bike. Amazing what 20 additional pounds of air in tire feel like. I did a once over before I left and the tires had less that 20 PSI. 34/42 now. Blew the soot out with a couple of redline passes through forth gear and now it purrs like a kitten. No miss. I did find out that my 51 year old knees don't really like the riding position. They kinda cramped up. Looks like a little time in the old basement gym is in order. I am not as limber as I used to be. Back in the day I dragged a knee with the best of them. Kevin Schwandt even ran me off the track once. Have not been on a crotch rocket in almost 20 years. Brought back alot of memories. I guess all in all a great birthday present. Now for the detail and clean up. Looks like a about 10 hours worth. Bike is overall really clean. Just needs to all the crude and chain lube off the left side and clean under the plastics. Thanks guys for all the support. Lets get a North GA mountian ride up. Third week in October all the leaves will be a changin' and Octoberfest in Helen. Great riding. Will be interesting to see what the road looks like from under the handlebars for a change..........

Old 09-01-2008, 12:06 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Happy birthday, Blewzman.
Yup, your lady's a sensible girl.........
Gotta watch Kilgore -NEVER washes his bike
(sign of an evil mind) he he
The CBR isn't a crotch rocket - if you want real cramps get on a 1000RR or a GSX1000R !
Glad you sorted out the miss - sometimes, all it takes is some road time......

Old 09-01-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's true. Everything he said is true.
Don't know your lady friend, though. She soundscool if she wants you to be happy and ride on your birthday, though. My girl is the same way. "But didn't you want to ride today, dear?" she'll say. "You don't have to go to my mom's with me, just go ride..."
That's why I'm with her, though. I've had the bitchy type, and no more of that....

Glad you worked out the bugs on your bike. You'll have many a good time on the old girl....
As far as the cramping in you're knees... Hmm..Ever try that chondroitin (sp) stuff for joint pain? That may give you some relief. I don't know, some people swear by it.You can get these orange softchews at most wally worlds. My girl was a dancer for like 15yrs, and I bought her some when she mentioned her knees bothering her, and she said they actually help a lot. Just a thought...

Old 09-01-2008, 10:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good idea Kilgore - but maybe the old knees need some "road time' too ?
As you get older, everything hurts, and what doesn't hurt, doesn't work.......
Glad I'M good to go....ar ar

Old 09-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Yea, I got a good gal. I had one of the others and traded her in. This one found me and we worked out a deal before we got hitched. She is a keeper.
Update on wheels. The area that is all messed up is painted on my wheels. I went down and got a pack of wet/dry sand paper with 200/400/800/1000 grit in it. A sheet of each. Looking at the wheels I realized I could not make them worse. I started out with the 400 and worked my way up to the 1000. I then hit it with some mothers alloy wheel polish. Looks like chrome. Will take some time but will be worth it. May have to balance the wheels when I get done......

Quick Reply: Barn Find 88 Hurricane 1000 F