CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Arghhh!! My baby will not start

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arghhh!! My baby will not start

Hello fellow CBR enthusiasts!!

Need help with a problem, here is the story, a couple of months ago I noticed that when I pressed the Start button, nothing would pass, I tought it was the battery so I got a brand new Yuasa one,but a couple of weeks ago the same happens again, if I press the Start button nothing happens, although I heard a tinny sound coming from the left side of the seat panel, like if, when I press the button something makes a very light "thump" sound, if I keep pushing continuosly the start button, I hear this thump sound every time, I have no idea what it may be, any help will be appreciated.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:17 PM
Default RE: Arghhh!! My baby will not start

i would start by checking your ground(-) wires on your battery and going from the battery

Old 09-04-2008, 01:20 PM

How's your battery voltage when this is happening? If it is low, I would suspect the regulator/rectifier has given up the ghost. That's what happened to mine.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:23 PM

good call tallenuf

Old 09-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Hi guys,

Thanks, I have no way to measure the voltage on the battery, but considering that it's a brand new battery and that until a couple of weks ago I used the bike at least two times a week, I do not think it should be a problem associated with the battery, but I will check the cables anyway, I'm thinking more like tallenuf, where the regulator has give up, is this something quite expensive to get or difficult to replace? can I have the old one refurbished or is not recomended?

Thanks again pals!!

Old 09-04-2008, 01:52 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hola Luis ! Long time no hear....?
I have a spare secondhand regulator which I can post - cost you 10 dollars and postage - (I keep 2 spares) - with my bike's history, it's a good idea......[:@]
Check the charge voltage Luis, I think that's the problem (and no, you can't rebuild them)[X(]

Old 09-04-2008, 02:38 PM

Hi Luis

I am having the same problem. Its still starting, but it is taking a few tries. I just bought this one
http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/ca...bed562959d279b
but Shadows is a way better deal! Good luck

Old 09-04-2008, 03:06 PM

I wouldn't spring for a new R/R until you're sure that's the problem. Try jump starting your bike with a car battery (car not running) and see if it will turn over and start. If it still won't, it's likely not your R/R. If it will start, ride around on it for awhile- but don't go too far from home. If your R/R is bad, eventually your bike will die because your battery won't be charging. If it doesn't die, then again it's probably not your R/R. Even if it does die, it doesn't mean your R/R is bad- there are other parts of the charging system that can go bad or a short somewhere can cause your battery not to charge.

Old 09-04-2008, 04:14 PM

Thank you all, I will try tonight jump starting the bike using my car, I'll keep you posted on the results, just out of curiosity, what if the cane will not fire up after I try jump starting her, where should be the next thing to look at..

Thanks again, now I'm more relieved knowing that this is not an expensive piece, SeƱor Shadow, thank you very much for the offer, I will try to get the replacement here, apparently there is still enough spares around since this model was very popular here in the country back in the days.

Saludos,
Luis

Old 09-04-2008, 04:48 PM

I have no way to measure the voltage on the battery
Why?

Quick Reply: Arghhh!! My baby will not start