CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

any idea how much this is worth?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any idea how much this is worth?

I know everyone hates that question...how much is it worth?...but I still need to know, lol...heres the deal:
this guy has a 1990 cbr1000 with 16k on it...bike was very nice, but stopped starting...kinda like the charging system fried or shot battery, so the guy replaced the starter and got no where, took it to a honda dealer that took it apart to fix it and the mechanic had a heart attack and died...now the bike is apart and they said they wont put it back together...charged him the incurred labor and helped put it in the back of his truck where they were nice enough to drop it and crack one of the fairings....now 2 years later its in his shed still taken apart....any thoughts as too how much this bike is worth? I want to buy it, but dont want to low ball him or get screwed myself. He came to me offering it saying he had no idea of its value...im looking at it tomorrow afternoon.

thanks guys

Old 03-10-2009, 09:15 PM

There's a big difference between a shot battery and a bad charging system. A bad battery is a $35 fix, but charging problems can mean replacing the regulator/rectifier and/or the alternator, er, sorry Shadow, I mean stator, which could cost quite a bit more. But, a bad battery should not require any dissassembly of the bike- the battery is located under the seat. On the other hand, a bad charging system will not keep the bike from starting so long as the battery is fully charged from the get go. It will cause the bike to die eventually and then not be able to restart without recharging the battery. All that being said, I probably wouldn't pay over a $1000 for that bike, if that, and generally I would avoid any bike with charging problems since they can be difficult to isolate and expensive to repair.

Old 03-10-2009, 10:03 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If it's only done 16000, chances are it's not the stator/alternator (hi Paco) - more likely to be the regulator/rectifier - cost around $110 US and a simple plug-in fix.Or as Paco suggests, a simple battery replacement.

However, if the workshop's pulled the stator/alternator out of the bike, returning it to running order can be expensive.This is unlikely because few people know you can remove it without removing the engine from the bike.Is the engine in the bike ?

Some pics of what she looks like would help to get a better idea of the work required, and the cost involved.

I suspect the workshop won't put it back together because they don't know how it came apart. I'd've sued them if it was my bike...........They even had the ba....s to charge him for work done..... absolute disgrace in my book !!!!!

I'd offer him around $500 for the bits, and we'll help you put her back together.......

Old 03-10-2009, 11:29 PM

$500 - $1000 seems resonable to me. Depending how good are you at turning a wrench, you might have to spend a little or a lot on getting the bike back to running again. Since you really don't know what is wrogn with it, consider that the engine needs to be changed and use the cost of that, with labour, to gauge the value of this bike. If it needs tires, battery, brake pads then all those things should be considerred too.

Mine was a backet case too (was taken apart by the previous owner's mechanic) and it took a lot of experience (working on engines) and help from the board to put it all back. together)

Old 03-11-2009, 12:33 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You say that it is a question everybody hate. Do you know why?
This is why: NOBODY THAT ASK THE QUESTION EVER TELL WHERE THEY LIVE OR WHERE THE BIKE IS LOCATED! There is a significant difference between a bike in Denmark or Sweden or Argentina to a bike in USA or AUS or UK in what it's worth!

Old 03-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a 1994, the replacement cost for that bike is quite high. The discussion has come up here before. I would replace my bike with a BMW-R1200ST, BMW-K1200ST or a Yamaha-FJR1300 and possibly a Honda-ST1300. The Ducati-ST3 and ST4 are pricey. That is what these bikes are about. What are you willing to pay for a similar (but older) bike.

Old 03-11-2009, 02:08 PM
Default together

as far as I can tell from speaking with him alst night it is back together enough to start with a jump start...plastics are off...supposed to be in really nice condition aside from said issues...going to look at it in a couple of hours. still no pics, sorry..

and the reason I believe everyone hates this question has nothing to do with location...its because no one can really tell without actually looking at it first hand and knowing EVERYthing about it...for the point.....its in the US

Last edited by swisherred; 03-11-2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-11-2009, 02:52 PM

If it will start with a jump start, then if it has charging issues it won't run for long. With a fully charged battery it can go maybe 15 to 20 minutes or so- with a discharged battery it'll run for a lot less time. Try starting her up, disconnect the jumper cables, turn on the high beams and turn signals, rev the engine a little bit, and see how long she runs for. If she doesn't die in 10 minutes, you probably don't have charging issues.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:32 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

and the reason I believe everyone hates this question has nothing to do with location...its because no one can really tell without actually looking at it first hand and knowing EVERYthing about it...for the point.....its in the US[/quote]

When asking the value of a bike your location is relevant as the value will vary widely depending where you are , any value given will be at best a 'guess-timate' because as you rightly pointed out you do really need to see the bike 'in the flesh' as it were. So if you can give the location it will help the accuracy of any estimate.

It's the proverbial question 'how long is a piece of string?'

In Oz Hurricanes seem to be around twice the price we would pay here in the U.K.

Mikekop I'm sure is only trying to help.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:43 PM

good point...sorry, just wasnt thinking about that. as far as the bike...I looked at it today and damn is that thing in nice shape...the broken fairing is missing a piece of plastic about the size of my pinky on the edge of the front signal mount...which he even has the part..other than that no damage. yoshi single exhaust with brand new tires (like 300miles on them) runs great, starts like ****...not the carbs, not the charging system (says he could ride all day with no trouble, but has a very weak starter) maybe a solenoid or bad ground...once it started...it ran great...its factory yellow which I thought was a dif. years color, but I dont know for sure...corbin seat that is worn, but solid...wish I had pics...bike is complete with title and currently still registered even.

he said he would take $600 for it...so Im going to get it I believe

what do ya'll think? any other info needed?

Quick Reply: any idea how much this is worth?