CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Another oil question..

Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Another oil question..

Can I use diesel oil in.......only kidding guys .

Seriously though, in my ute I use Castrol Magnatec. In the adverts when it first came out they raved on about molecular attraction keeping the oil clinging to engine parts. I've been using it for years now because it really seems to be true. When you pull out the dipstick, even after hours of not running the engine, the oil is still clinging to it right to the top. Their theory is that most engine wear occurs right after you start the motor, before the oil pump has really done anything yet. With this oil the cams and whole engine is lubed properly straight away.

This kind of technology would be ideal for bike oils, especially when bikes are often not ridden for a while sometimes.

So my question is, does anybody know of a bike oil with this property? I'm happy with the Motul I use and don't want to start the whole oil debate again, much as everybody loves it , I'm just wondering if a Magnatec type oil is out there for bikes.

Old 11-18-2009, 04:25 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this link to Castrol's Motorcycle testing site. Maybe of use....

http://www.castrolmoto.com/en/home.php

Old 11-18-2009, 06:20 PM

I know I'm biased but I'll never use Shell oil again. Put it in my old Subaru once. I also put Shell VSX into my old cane. After 2000Km the wear on the cams was very visible. Just too fine for my old girl. I have Castrol in there now & it just smokes under power. Maybe back to Motul.

Has anyone tried a bit of caster oil to make their regular oil sticky. I believe it was, maybe still is used in racing oils. Also I think it's used in chain & bar oil for chainsaws to give it the tacky texture???

Old 11-18-2009, 11:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input and for the link (Henry). I'd be worried about putting my own additives in though...race teams can afford to re-build their motors more easily than us lot (but maybe all you guys are loaded and I'm the only skint one ). I might email Castrol and ask them about it.

Shell's sounding none too flash isn't it?

**** it's hot.

Old 11-19-2009, 12:27 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mixing vegetable based oil and petroleum based oil isn't a good idea - they aren't missible.
Any oil with friction reducers ditto - bike clutches don't like it.
And there's absolutely nothing wrong with Shell oil - been using it for years and years, no problem. Hell I use Shell diesel oil in the bike !
I think any problem that may have shown up is in one place, probably a service station, and there was some "jiggery pokery" went on with the metal bits in the oil...............FWIW

Old 11-19-2009, 07:35 AM

I will admit Shell Rimula is a damn good oil. Use it in the farm machines all the time but it comes at a price over here. May be a bit cheaper over there Pete. Hope so!! Never found a another good shell oil though. They do however have other products that are good. eg. XM33!! A brilliant solvent we used in watch repairs years ago.
Hey Steve. I know it's hot. 43C today. Then try standing on top of a glass machine @ 500C+. I'm still sweating just thinking what I just did. Hey Steve. Here's a snowman to cool you down

Old 11-19-2009, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bluebeard
I know I'm biased but I'll never use Shell oil again. Put it in my old Subaru once. I also put Shell VSX into my old cane. After 2000Km the wear on the cams was very visible. Just too fine for my old girl. I have Castrol in there now & it just smokes under power. Maybe back to Motul.

Has anyone tried a bit of caster oil to make their regular oil sticky. I believe it was, maybe still is used in racing oils. Also I think it's used in chain & bar oil for chainsaws to give it the tacky texture???
re: Shell Your cams didn't wear because your oil said 'Shell' on the bottle, but for sure you should use whatever oil you're comfortable with. Shell oil is n't 'finer' than any other oil, as long as you're comparing like viscocity oil. Shell engineers some of the best oils on the planet, but so does Mobil, Valvoline, and others. Also, if your motor smokes under power, it needs rings. No amount of trying different oils is going to fix the fact that your oil is getting into the combustion chamber.

re: castor DON'T DO THIS. Your rings work because they are free to move. If they get stuck, problems will ensue.

Regarding the Magnatech...I read this post last night, so this morning I pulled the dipstick out of my car (had been sitting for roughly 10 hours) and the oil was right to the top of the dipstick too...with conventional oil. That's because when the car sits, the oil runs into the crank case, and the dipstick is sitting in the oil. I'd guess that this is why there's oil on your dipstick, not because of the 'Magnatech' technology. I'm not saying there is no validity to it, but the dipstick think probably isn't a good test for it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another oil question..