CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Another Hurrican is back with the living.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another Hurrican is back with the living.

Took my '87 out for the first time since I bought it. Those that are not familiar with my story (there is a tread on the engine "rebuild") but in a nut shell, I got the bike with the engine already ataken apart by a mechanic. The #2 cylinder was destroyed (the exhaust valve broke and damaged everything in the hole). The previous owner didn't want to sink in the money for new parts and mechanics labour, so decided to just sell it as-is. By pure luck I came across it on the local calssifieds. Went to look at it and since, besides the engine, the bike was near mint condition. I could not pass up the opportunity to get it. Over time and with the help of this board, I gathered all the necesarry replacement parts and vital information to be able to get the engine back to operating condition. Have been workign out the bugs for the better part of 2 month (not a lot of time left for projects when you have 2 kids), but I made the time and slowly marched forward with the project.

Tonight I took it out for the first time and it felt GREAT! My last bike was an '88 Hurricane 1000 so everything felt very familiar. My old motorcycle licence plate (the one I had on the last Hurricane) was last registered in........'93!!! I can't beleive it's been 16 years. I'm 36 so that means I almost spent half my life without a bike.

Next in line is to slightly adjust the throttly cables as there is a little too much slack, then synch the carbs, followed by re installing the lower plastics/fairings. Then a new rear tire and it's ready to be put bak into service.

Thanks for all the help!!! Without this baord, the project would have been a lot more difficult.

Old 04-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Always great to hear that another "Old Lady" has been saved from the scrapheap.
Credit to you for making the effort - I'm sure it was a case of "deja Vu" when you rode her for the first time.
Post up some pics when she's ready for the senior prom

Old 04-03-2009, 03:05 AM

Congrats Imo!

I know exactly how you feel. Not having had a bike for a decade, was slowly eating away at me.
You've taken the better route though, and have obviously put some real sweat and labor into it. I just got lucky to get a 90 Cane for a good price.

Got some pics to show? It sure would be great to see what you've accomplished!

F.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:48 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice work Imo!! Great that your gonna' be back on the road again
I know how it is with the kid situation , not that they're not great , but it can be hard to find the time for other things!

As for lost time , I wanted a bike all my life and only passed my test and got the 'Scarlet Harlot' when I was 48!!! talk about wasted time

You got many years riding ahead of you mate , enjoy every single one and I'm sure your 'Old Lady' will serve you well

Old 04-03-2009, 05:22 PM

Congratulations IMO!!! I knew you would succed!! Now it's time to put up some miles!!

Old 04-03-2009, 06:26 PM

Now we need some pics...lol.

Old 04-04-2009, 06:27 PM

Thanks guys, here are some pics before I took her apart and it will look the same once all the plastics are back on. But I wil ltake pics once the plastics are back on. The second pic is of my little guy with his helmet hat.

Attached Thumbnails Another Hurrican is back with the living.-1.jpg   Another Hurrican is back with the living.-2.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Another Hurrican is back with the living.